Abysmal at kickboard sets

:drowning: Yes, that's how I feel when there's any kickboard set. I know this kind of thing is good for me, but it's hair-tearing frustrating to do this. I know that there are techniques--kick from the hips, keep legs straight, etc. But even making my best effort at doing these things, I am beyond :frustrated: ... and it may be that as the frustration level rose, I tensed more and found it harder (telling self, "you idiot--others are doing this... why can't you?" which of course doesn't help, so I have to focus on my own workout). Well, mostly the others are wearing fins, so that helped me somewhat to know that it wasn't just me. So I'm thinking I'll order a pair, but first two questions: 1. If you can recommend any videos or offer any tips that would help, that would be great; 2. Those who use fins: which ones have worked best for you? Thanks for your suggestions. You could single-handedly save my kick. Is that not a good cause? ;)
  • w3JRV4JJD28 I bought a pair of TYR Burners recently (reviewed at about 6:00 in the vid, "similar to zoomers, but much more comfortable"), and I'm happy with them. I have two suggestions, 1. Fins are not just for kicking, you can swim with them too, and get a taste of how it feels to move through the water just a little faster. So get a short pair of fins. Short fins do not interfere with stroke mechanics as much as long fins. 2. Normally I like buying things online, but in this case I'd recommend going to a local swim shop & trying some on. There's nothing more useless than a pair of fins that don't fit well & so spend all their time sitting on the deck.
  • I bought a pair of TYR Burners recently (reviewed at about 6:00 in the vid, "similar to zoomers, but much more comfortable"), and I'm happy with them. LOVE these fins! :banana: I was like you, Fish, but I was determined to improve my kicking. The Burners make that process so much better, and more enjoyable. They are super soft and flexible, so it will be an easier process than it would be with a longer, stiffer pair of fins. (When I say easier, I mean less muscle stains and/or leg cramps on high intensity sets!)
  • I've always had a substandard dolphin kick, but recently I've employed the vertical kick drill for both fly and flutter kicks. Lo, and behold, my dolphin kicking really seems to be improving.
  • Recently I attended a live presentation webinar at the USOTC by Russel Mark. He talked about what made a good kick or a bad kick. He showed films of US Olympians with good kicks and bad kicks. In a good kick, the knee is bent and then the leg is extended, much like kicking a soccer ball. As the leg is extended, the knee stayed stationary in the water. In a bad kick, the knee is bent and then as the leg is extended, the knee moves upwards. This would be as if when you extended you leg to kick a soccer ball your knee moved backwards. All of the power in the kick is lost as the knee moves backwards. Perhaps you can have someone watch your kick underwater and see if your knee moves up as your foot goes down. You could also go into the corner of the pool, hold the sides of the pool, kick vertically and see if your knee moves backwards or stays forwards as you kick your foot forwards. Here is a link to a short video were you might be able to see what I am trying to describe. www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx Maybe this will help to improve your kick.
  • I've always had a substandard dolphin kick, but recently I've employed the vertical kick drill for both fly and flutter kicks. Lo, and behold, my dolphin kicking really seems to be improving. I wish our pool was deep enough to do this drill! :badday: (Having said that, I am thankful to have access to an indoor 25 yard pool one mile from my house. :agree:) Steve, it was great seeing you at the Athens meet!
  • Of course there are those who say that kicking sets have absolutely nothing to do with fast swimming. Maybe kicking sets would be helpful if you were in a kicking race, but not so much in a swimming race. Those who believe in specificity i.e. that transfer of training is specific might tell you that to get better at kicking in a swimming race, you must swim and kick, not kick by itself. There is apparently no transfer of training from kicking with a kickboard to kicking in a swimming race. Yes, I know every coach gives a kicking set...use it as social time.
  • Steve, it was great seeing you at the Athens meet! Good to see too Elaine! Steve, do you know of videos of vertical kick drills--I've heard of them, but I've not actually seen them in action. No video needed for the way I do them. I just hold an upright position with my hands at the sides of my legs and kick to keep my face above the surface. I have to kick forcefully or I will be standing on the bottom of the pool - lol. When I initially tried the dolphin this way, my upper half would move about awkwardly. By learning to control this I likely corrected the problem
  • Of course there are those who say that kicking sets have absolutely nothing to do with fast swimming. Maybe kicking sets would be helpful if you were in a kicking race, but not so much in a swimming race. Those who believe in specificity i.e. that transfer of training is specific might tell you that to get better at kicking in a swimming race, you must swim and kick, not kick by itself. There is apparently no transfer of training from kicking with a kickboard to kicking in a swimming race. Yes, I know every coach gives a kicking set...use it as social time. How about doing kicking sets (with or without a board) with the goal of building up leg strength and endurance? I believe this has helped me a lot. :agree:
  • :drowning: Well, mostly the others are wearing fins, so that helped me somewhat to know that it wasn't just me. So I'm thinking I'll order a pair, but first two questions: ;)In my opinion, using fins is at best a waste of time and at worst destructive. Swimming with fins interferes with the normal cadence of your stroke. You can't use fins in a meet why use them in practice. Also, fins can wreck your kness, never attempt a pseudo *** stroke kick with fins.
  • Some swimmers just have not very flexible ankles that cause poor kicking results. Fins will make you go faster ,but not "fix" anything.Ganache has the right idea on how to evaluate your kick. Read it above to think thru your kick mechanics,