Interval Racing

The Brisbane Grand Prix this weekend has interval racing. www.swimming.org.au/.../2014_GP_2_Program.pdf 3 x 200m Free will be swum on 3 minutes, enter using your 800m Time 3 x 300m Free will be swum on 4 minutes, enter using your 800m/1500m Free time I'm curious to read the results and see how this turns out.
  • That is pretty interesting. I've never heard of that before at a meet.
  • Braden Keith didn't seem to know that these were broken swims. swimswam.com/.../ We’re not quite sure what it means, but Katie Goldman was a 6:11.25 in the women’s 600 meter free final. What little context we have is that this is a medal-winning split to an 800 free at Worlds last year (Ledecky and Friis were both right around 6:11), though of course tagging on another 200 meters is a task not to be taken lightly. It’s certainly a good position for her medal chances at the Commonwealth Games and Pan Pacs. Finally, in the men’s 900 free, Mack Horton was an 8:43.99 for the win. That paces out to a 7:45 over 800 meters, which would have been 5th at Worlds last year even having the extra 100 on the end. That, we know, is an impressive swim.
  • Good questions, Chris. I would assume they just let the clock run and determine the time for each swim based on the split recorded by the pad.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Would be curious if each interval is done with a dive or a push? Or is it a dive on first one then push the next two? Or dive all three? Or push all three? (I don't think two dives and one push or a dive-push-dive would really be an option). How is the start of each interval handled so that it is accurate to the 1/100th of a sec? Just wondering outside the bun :)