New Omega Backstroke Start Device

Former Member
Former Member
Wow, this is cool! A "starting wedge" for backstrokers. Looks like it's approved by FINA; it's on their YouTube page. How to use the backstroke foot ledge: - At the start, the toes of both feet must be in contact with the end wall or face of the touchpad. Bending the toes over the top of the touchpad is prohibited. - The ledge may be adjustable to 4 cm above or 4 cm below the water level. www.youtube.com/watch
Parents
  • I did not notice the use of the backstroke ledge during the weekends broadcast of the phillips 66 swim championship. I believe one of the gals slipped at the start of the 200 back A finals, but I did not see it. Shortly we probably will start seeing the ledge at meets and then what would be the point of not allowing toes over the gutter that most pools in the US have. I suppose we would have to keep our heels in the water to prevent that wonderful back dive from a standing position which probably has an intolerable risk of injury. I'm thinking the cost of this device adapted to the vast majority of US pools would be a foolish use of resources when we generally have a "ledge" already available to us. Certainly the ledge was a good solution to the "FINA wall Omega pad" problem. I do not look forward to a time of selecting meets with the criteria of availability of the ledge at certain pools. That said I had been thinking of not competing in backstroke this year as the SCY Nats will be swum outdoors and after seeing Phelp's and Clary swim into the lane line I'm convinced. It will be fly this year hopefully my shoulders hang in there
  • I did not notice the use of the backstroke ledge during the weekends broadcast of the phillips 66 swim championship. I believe one of the gals slipped at the start of the 200 back A finals, but I did not see it. Shortly we probably will start seeing the ledge at meets and then what would be the point of not allowing toes over the gutter that most pools in the US have. I suppose we would have to keep our heels in the water to prevent that wonderful back dive from a standing position which probably has an intolerable risk of injury. I'm thinking the cost of this device adapted to the vast majority of US pools would be a foolish use of resources when we generally have a "ledge" already available to us. Certainly the ledge was a good solution to the "FINA wall Omega pad" problem. I do not look forward to a time of selecting meets with the criteria of availability of the ledge at certain pools. That said I had been thinking of not competing in backstroke this year as the SCY Nats will be swum outdoors and after seeing Phelp's and Clary swim into the lane line I'm convinced. It will be fly this year hopefully my shoulders hang in there
Children
No Data