Fly Kick vs. Free Kick

I decided to get back into swimming after not swimming seriously for 30 years. Right now, I'm trying to figure out where my weaknesses are, time-wise, but my times don't make sense to me. Freestyle and backstroke have always been my fastest strokes. Butterfly has always been my weakest and *** stroke my slowest. I'm not concerned about my *** stroke right now but today, I discovered that my fly kick is significantly faster than my freestyle kick - like by 8 seconds in 25yds. I find this very weird, especially considering that I'm pigeon toed, making it impossible for me to keep my feet together during the fly kick. I would think that at the very least, my freestyle kick would be as fast as my fly, but not slower. Is this normal? I think there's something seriously wrong with my flutter and whatever is wrong, it's not related to drag (I've already ruled out drag).
Parents
  • It is reasonible to believe that the difference might come from the fact that fly kick better exploits the contribution from the whole body. Yep, the larger muscle groups engaged. The SDK is not necessarily more efficient, but (for most swimmers) more powerful. I'm slower dolphin kicking than flutter (due to simple genetics) - I no longer waste time with it. Consequently I am also slower under than at the surface. But like most others, kicking on my back is faster than on my belly, and the reason for this I believe is simply related to the greater backward propulsive force (range of leverage) the foot has when on back.
  • It is reasonible to believe that the difference might come from the fact that fly kick better exploits the contribution from the whole body. Yep, the larger muscle groups engaged. The SDK is not necessarily more efficient, but (for most swimmers) more powerful. I'm slower dolphin kicking than flutter (due to simple genetics) - I no longer waste time with it. Consequently I am also slower under than at the surface. But like most others, kicking on my back is faster than on my belly, and the reason for this I believe is simply related to the greater backward propulsive force (range of leverage) the foot has when on back.
Children
No Data