Phelps comeback confirmed

Former Member
Former Member
Phelps is planning on swimming at the mesa grand prix in 2 weeks: swimswam.com/.../ Speculation he is swimming 50 and 100s.
Parents
  • It's GREAT for the sport. chowsh was meh about going to watch this year...until PHELPS announces un-retirement (disretirement?) and yours truly's favorite sister will be barging on the will call window for her prepaid tickets at the mesa grand prix! This generation has made swimming fun to watch. Even for nonswimmers. IMO, he should train for the 100/200 free and 100/200 fly and have so much fun not traing for a zillion events and every stroke. He should pull a Natalie (she seems to focus only on the 50 free and is having tremendous success, and I think it's also easier to transition to the 100 free as well come the trials) and focus on the 100/200 to get on the Olympic team in a relay, and bonus if he gets 1 or 2 in the fly to make it as well. It's just so so so tough to get a 1st or 2nd....but perhaps better chance to gut his way (if necessary) onto the relays. I would think training is fun because he as nothing to lose, nothing to defend, and it might be nice to train as if knock someone else out rather than defending or racking up a certain medal count. Focusing on relays would be fun since it takes the pressure off of an individual swim, but then if he does make indiv, to put all the effort he's accustomed to into just a few indiv events. Then again, also to watch for pockets of opportunity if any of his events have a weak opening (uh, that would be relative, of course!!!)that he just has to take advantage of.
  • It's GREAT for the sport. chowsh was meh about going to watch this year...until PHELPS announces un-retirement (disretirement?) and yours truly's favorite sister will be barging on the will call window for her prepaid tickets at the mesa grand prix! This generation has made swimming fun to watch. Even for nonswimmers. IMO, he should train for the 100/200 free and 100/200 fly and have so much fun not traing for a zillion events and every stroke. He should pull a Natalie (she seems to focus only on the 50 free and is having tremendous success, and I think it's also easier to transition to the 100 free as well come the trials) and focus on the 100/200 to get on the Olympic team in a relay, and bonus if he gets 1 or 2 in the fly to make it as well. It's just so so so tough to get a 1st or 2nd....but perhaps better chance to gut his way (if necessary) onto the relays. I would think training is fun because he as nothing to lose, nothing to defend, and it might be nice to train as if knock someone else out rather than defending or racking up a certain medal count. Focusing on relays would be fun since it takes the pressure off of an individual swim, but then if he does make indiv, to put all the effort he's accustomed to into just a few indiv events. Then again, also to watch for pockets of opportunity if any of his events have a weak opening (uh, that would be relative, of course!!!)that he just has to take advantage of.
Children
No Data