When your work doesn't pay off

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys! I need help, if you can please assist me. I used to swim competitively when i was younger up until i was 17, and back then i was improving a lot, very fast. I am extremely frustrated, as all i want to do is to become a faster Masters swimmer, and be the best that i can be. I'm still young so I want to take advantage of that, i came back to the pool about two years ago after being off for about 8. I'm doing cross training with Running intervals 2x/week for 45 mins, doing a weight routine designed for swimming 2X/week, and swimming with my team 5-6X/week. I've been doing this for about a year now, and my times have not changed at all, or have changed very little. I am investing a lot, I even have a nutritionist to help me with a good diet to support my workouts, and nothing. I was told that What's worse, I see people who seldom go to practice, or don't train all that much and they are quite fast. I feel like all the work that I am putting in is not paying off at all as it should be. Any help, advise or anything would be hugely appreciated.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    My goal in mind at the moment is to race at the Masters World Champs in August, so I would like to go in the best shape I could be. My most recent times in my events are as follow, these times have been stagnant for about a year now: 200IM - 2:48 200Br- 3:06 400 fr - 5:21 800 fr- 10:58 For my races I usually wear an Aquablade, or a Speedo racing suit about 1.5 sizes smaller, my height is 5'9" weight 167 lbs. In terms of rest, I usually do take the day off prior to a race, but I don't tapper after every single one of them because sometimes meets are too close together, I do a lot of visualization too =D
  • What events are you training for and how are you training for those events? Yes, this is key. Your masters workouts may not be correct/ideal training for the particular events you are racing. And agree with the above --technique is king. Why are you running? IMO running in now way helps swimming. It only makes the legs fatigued for pool workouts. How can you execute a good kick set or work on streamline dolphin kick very effectively with dead legs? Trust me, I was a dedicated runner, but got faster at swimming when I stopped running. Most cross-training, with the possible exception of weights, doesn't really help swimming, which is such a specific technique oriented sport.
  • As you can see from the replies here, there are a variety of answers to your question, ranging from slowing down your routine to increasing your focus on technique. The answer is dependent upon your specific needs as a swimmer. Being fast or slow is relative, but not improving indicates that there is a problem in the type of workouts you are doing. Your frustration has been echoed by many other swimmers, and is one of the reasons I created my online coaching site, Swimspire. As a teenager, you were able to improve quickly at any costs due to your body's development as you grew up. Now it will not be as easy to improve simply by getting in the pool and swimming fast. Nor will you improve if you switch your focus and work only on technique. You will need to have your stroke assessed independently and then complete workouts that blend specific drills to work on your areas of weakness with fullstroke/interval sets. Focusing on proper technique with a mix of fullstroke will help adjust your swimming towards improvement. Best of luck in your swimming endeavors!
  • Former Member
    LOL Maybe there's a special power in rats hahaha would leave it as a mystery though, not a fan of rats :) Yeah i'm planning on getting plenty of rest and Tapper for the Worlds so hopefully that will give the humpf needed too :) Thanks guys!!
  • But the best thing about swimming is that it's a technique sport. So true. I wouldn't have been able to hit PB's in my late 40's otherwise (though I started swimming in my early 40's). I personally wouldn't endorse eating rats, but to each his own I guess...:bolt:"Get your rats on a stick!" Monty Python
  • Former Member
    To answer your question, one only needs to look at your routine. 5-6 workouts, 2 weight sessions and 2 cross training sessions per week. Your body is not getting enough rest. take a day or two off each week. All of that exercise, while invigorating, tears down muscle mass and creates fatigue, of which both can be relieved by rest. More exercise may seem like that answer, but there are two sides to every coin. The more you practice and train, the more your body needs rest and time to absorb the benefits. Agreed. Contrary to the typical age group formula, adult athletes need time to recover. Three or four days with anywhere between 2,500 to 4,000 yards is enough to remain competitive (all depending on the event). Although I haven't been to a meet in a while, my practices time have kept improving over the past few years by fitting in recovery. Being able to approach a work out with some gusto instead of feeling worn out and achy keeps pool time fun instead of a dread. But the best thing about swimming is that it's a technique sport. Brush up on your form and your turns and you won't need to grind through needless yards to drop time. ...my 2 cents
  • My goal in mind at the moment is to race at the Masters World Champs in August, so I would like to go in the best shape I could be. My most recent times in my events are as follow, these times have been stagnant for about a year now: 200IM - 2:48 200Br- 3:06 400 fr - 5:21 800 fr- 10:58 For my races I usually wear an Aquablade, or a Speedo racing suit about 1.5 sizes smaller, my height is 5'9" weight 167 lbs. In terms of rest, I usually do take the day off prior to a race, but I don't tapper after every single one of them because sometimes meets are too close together, I do a lot of visualization too =D A suit 1.5 times smaller....OUCH!!!!! From the list of events listed how about focusing on 400/800 free, or the 200IM/200Br. This will help you focus more on a particular stroke and race strategy. Also get enough rest! Your current workout plan will eventually lead to burnout.