When your work doesn't pay off

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys! I need help, if you can please assist me. I used to swim competitively when i was younger up until i was 17, and back then i was improving a lot, very fast. I am extremely frustrated, as all i want to do is to become a faster Masters swimmer, and be the best that i can be. I'm still young so I want to take advantage of that, i came back to the pool about two years ago after being off for about 8. I'm doing cross training with Running intervals 2x/week for 45 mins, doing a weight routine designed for swimming 2X/week, and swimming with my team 5-6X/week. I've been doing this for about a year now, and my times have not changed at all, or have changed very little. I am investing a lot, I even have a nutritionist to help me with a good diet to support my workouts, and nothing. I was told that What's worse, I see people who seldom go to practice, or don't train all that much and they are quite fast. I feel like all the work that I am putting in is not paying off at all as it should be. Any help, advise or anything would be hugely appreciated.
Parents
  • As you can see from the replies here, there are a variety of answers to your question, ranging from slowing down your routine to increasing your focus on technique. The answer is dependent upon your specific needs as a swimmer. Being fast or slow is relative, but not improving indicates that there is a problem in the type of workouts you are doing. Your frustration has been echoed by many other swimmers, and is one of the reasons I created my online coaching site, Swimspire. As a teenager, you were able to improve quickly at any costs due to your body's development as you grew up. Now it will not be as easy to improve simply by getting in the pool and swimming fast. Nor will you improve if you switch your focus and work only on technique. You will need to have your stroke assessed independently and then complete workouts that blend specific drills to work on your areas of weakness with fullstroke/interval sets. Focusing on proper technique with a mix of fullstroke will help adjust your swimming towards improvement. Best of luck in your swimming endeavors!
  • As you can see from the replies here, there are a variety of answers to your question, ranging from slowing down your routine to increasing your focus on technique. The answer is dependent upon your specific needs as a swimmer. Being fast or slow is relative, but not improving indicates that there is a problem in the type of workouts you are doing. Your frustration has been echoed by many other swimmers, and is one of the reasons I created my online coaching site, Swimspire. As a teenager, you were able to improve quickly at any costs due to your body's development as you grew up. Now it will not be as easy to improve simply by getting in the pool and swimming fast. Nor will you improve if you switch your focus and work only on technique. You will need to have your stroke assessed independently and then complete workouts that blend specific drills to work on your areas of weakness with fullstroke/interval sets. Focusing on proper technique with a mix of fullstroke will help adjust your swimming towards improvement. Best of luck in your swimming endeavors!
Children
No Data