When your work doesn't pay off

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys! I need help, if you can please assist me. I used to swim competitively when i was younger up until i was 17, and back then i was improving a lot, very fast. I am extremely frustrated, as all i want to do is to become a faster Masters swimmer, and be the best that i can be. I'm still young so I want to take advantage of that, i came back to the pool about two years ago after being off for about 8. I'm doing cross training with Running intervals 2x/week for 45 mins, doing a weight routine designed for swimming 2X/week, and swimming with my team 5-6X/week. I've been doing this for about a year now, and my times have not changed at all, or have changed very little. I am investing a lot, I even have a nutritionist to help me with a good diet to support my workouts, and nothing. I was told that What's worse, I see people who seldom go to practice, or don't train all that much and they are quite fast. I feel like all the work that I am putting in is not paying off at all as it should be. Any help, advise or anything would be hugely appreciated.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    To answer your question, one only needs to look at your routine. 5-6 workouts, 2 weight sessions and 2 cross training sessions per week. Your body is not getting enough rest. take a day or two off each week. All of that exercise, while invigorating, tears down muscle mass and creates fatigue, of which both can be relieved by rest. More exercise may seem like that answer, but there are two sides to every coin. The more you practice and train, the more your body needs rest and time to absorb the benefits. Agreed. Contrary to the typical age group formula, adult athletes need time to recover. Three or four days with anywhere between 2,500 to 4,000 yards is enough to remain competitive (all depending on the event). Although I haven't been to a meet in a while, my practices time have kept improving over the past few years by fitting in recovery. Being able to approach a work out with some gusto instead of feeling worn out and achy keeps pool time fun instead of a dread. But the best thing about swimming is that it's a technique sport. Brush up on your form and your turns and you won't need to grind through needless yards to drop time. ...my 2 cents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    To answer your question, one only needs to look at your routine. 5-6 workouts, 2 weight sessions and 2 cross training sessions per week. Your body is not getting enough rest. take a day or two off each week. All of that exercise, while invigorating, tears down muscle mass and creates fatigue, of which both can be relieved by rest. More exercise may seem like that answer, but there are two sides to every coin. The more you practice and train, the more your body needs rest and time to absorb the benefits. Agreed. Contrary to the typical age group formula, adult athletes need time to recover. Three or four days with anywhere between 2,500 to 4,000 yards is enough to remain competitive (all depending on the event). Although I haven't been to a meet in a while, my practices time have kept improving over the past few years by fitting in recovery. Being able to approach a work out with some gusto instead of feeling worn out and achy keeps pool time fun instead of a dread. But the best thing about swimming is that it's a technique sport. Brush up on your form and your turns and you won't need to grind through needless yards to drop time. ...my 2 cents
Children
No Data