2014 Canadian Nationals

According to the mymsc.ca website, the 2014 Canadian Nationals will be May 16-19 (Friday-Monday) in Windsor, Ontario, at the brand-new Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre, aka the Family Aquatic Complex. Windsor is about a half hour's drive from the Detroit airport. I've heard the meet is LCM, though I can't verify it. I also can't verify the event order! Which events on which days? Apparently it's not published yet? Is it known from experience? Does anyone know for sure or have a guess? Thanks.
  • Swimmers going to Canadian Nationals need to be aware that it is the SWIMMER’S responsibility to secure the record documentation and take it to the LMSC Top 10 person and to the Records and Tabulation Committee chair. If Skip should miss a record, the fault does not lie with Skip but with the swimmer who achieved the time(s) (202.2, last sentence). USMS rules do not require a liaison to Canadian meets. The USMS rules are: 105.1.6 Pool Certification A. Record applications and Top 10 submissions shall not be accepted unless certification of course length accompanies them or is on file with USMS or FINA. The certification of course length for that pool in Windsor, Ontario, is on file with FINA and that's all that's required; USMS does not keep a list of pools outside its jurisdiction. 105.1.7 Pool Measurement D. If a moveable bulkhead is used and the initial pool length certification for all lanes is on file, the measurement rules and policies of FINA shall be the standard for events sanctioned by a FINA Masters member federation other than USMS. 105.1.7D applies to USMS Top 10 AND USMS records. It does not stipulate that it applies only to USMS Top 10 as 105.1.7E does for USA Swimming meets. USMS measurement requirements for sanctioned and recognized meets inside the USA are different than for meets outside the USA. Note the rationale for 105.1.7D when it was proposed in 2012 (after Worlds in Italy when Chris measured the pools late at night, every night): Rationale: “Currently, USMS members may achieve times in international competition that are acceptable for FINA Top Ten or FINA Records but may not be valid for USMS Top 10 or USMS Records because of different measuring standards for bulkheads.” The FINA Rule is: FINA Handbook 2013-2017: MASTERS SWIMMING WORLD RECORD APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS, pages 378-379 DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS: page 279 Point 6: “A copy of the pool length confirmation must either be attached with this application or already on file with the FINA Masters Recorder. A one-time measurement is required unless there are changes to the pool that might cause the pool measurements to change. Then the pool length must be confirmed again.” Last year USMS proposed a FINA rule requiring confirmation measurements of bulkhead pools (it was a new MSW 7, see underlined text below). It did not pass, and the FINA Masters Technical Committee has confirmed that FINA does not require re-measurement of a bulkhead pool after the initial measurement has been done and is on file with FINA. “Only times from meets conducted in pools that meet the requirements of FR 2.1 will be considered for Records and Top 10. Record applications and Top 10 submissions shall be accompanied by certification of course length unless the certification of course length is on file with FINA. Pools with bulkheads shall be measured before each meet and at the end of each session.” Again, this proposal FAILED. When a FINA world record is set in a bulkhead pool in elite swimming, FINA requires the lane to be measured after the session in accordance with FINA rule SW 12.6. This rule does NOT apply to FINA Masters world records. FINA has the pool measurement on file and it has been certified for length by FINA. No further measurements are needed for USMS Top 10 or for USMS Records as well as for FINA Top 10 and FINA Masters world records. Kathy Casey, Chair USMS Rules Committee
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I've been assured by the USMS IT director that the process of directly adding the results for all USMS members that participated in this meet to the USMS ERDB for Top10 consideration is in the works at the USMS National Office - thus it is NOT necessary for individuals to push their results through their respective LMSCs. No time estimate was given but since the submission deadline for 2014 SCM results is 8 months away, it's not a fret-worthy issue just yet. And Skip Thompson has posted the full meet results publication here: www.michiganmasters.com/.../CanadianMasters_2014_resV1.pdf
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I've been assured by the USMS IT director that the process of directly adding the results for all USMS members that participated in this meet to the USMS ERDB for Top10 consideration is in the works at the USMS National Office - thus it is NOT necessary for individuals to push their results through their respective LMSCs. No time estimate was given but since the submission deadline for 2014 SCM results is 8 months away, it's not a fret-worthy issue just yet. I just uploaded the results for all of the USMS participants.
  • A quick look at the psych sheets tells me to get faster!!!