2014 Canadian Nationals

According to the mymsc.ca website, the 2014 Canadian Nationals will be May 16-19 (Friday-Monday) in Windsor, Ontario, at the brand-new Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre, aka the Family Aquatic Complex. Windsor is about a half hour's drive from the Detroit airport. I've heard the meet is LCM, though I can't verify it. I also can't verify the event order! Which events on which days? Apparently it's not published yet? Is it known from experience? Does anyone know for sure or have a guess? Thanks.
Parents
  • "For events sanctioned by USMS, proper bulkhead placement must be confirmed before the meet and after each session of the meet. Bulkhead placement is confirmed by course measurement of the two outside lanes and a middle lane". Yes, this is what our current rules say (emphasis added). ...USMS requires initial measurements before and after sessions for the USMS Record. This is definitely NOT true (and it contradicts the earlier quote). The measurement before the meet is to make sure the bulkheads are positioned correctly; the purpose is to avoid unpleasant surprises, allowing the meet host to adjust the bulkheads to be legal before competition starts. The measurements after the session is to make sure that the bulkhead did not move during the competition. It is presumed that these measurements reflect the pool length that applies to the swims for the previous session. If you look at the USMS/FINA record application: www.usms.org/.../gto_rectab_record_application.pdf it only asks for the SESSION measurements, not the pre-meet measurements. Again, the pre-meet measurements are to make sure that the bulkhead has been set properly initially, they are not presumed to represent the pool length when the record is set (possibly several sessions later). Of course if the meet host decides they want to be safe and measure before each session, that's their call to make. If they are confident their bulkhead won't move then they may not see the need. I will say that the pre-meet measurements should be made after the lane lines have been tightened fully. (Yes it can make a difference sometimes.) A quick bit of history: at one point the pre-meet measurements were a recommendation only. A couple years ago some LMSC (I forget which one) proposed an emergency rule change to change the recommendation to a rule, believing that it would be more likely to be followed than a "mere" recommendation. And so it came to pass.
  • "For events sanctioned by USMS, proper bulkhead placement must be confirmed before the meet and after each session of the meet. Bulkhead placement is confirmed by course measurement of the two outside lanes and a middle lane". Yes, this is what our current rules say (emphasis added). ...USMS requires initial measurements before and after sessions for the USMS Record. This is definitely NOT true (and it contradicts the earlier quote). The measurement before the meet is to make sure the bulkheads are positioned correctly; the purpose is to avoid unpleasant surprises, allowing the meet host to adjust the bulkheads to be legal before competition starts. The measurements after the session is to make sure that the bulkhead did not move during the competition. It is presumed that these measurements reflect the pool length that applies to the swims for the previous session. If you look at the USMS/FINA record application: www.usms.org/.../gto_rectab_record_application.pdf it only asks for the SESSION measurements, not the pre-meet measurements. Again, the pre-meet measurements are to make sure that the bulkhead has been set properly initially, they are not presumed to represent the pool length when the record is set (possibly several sessions later). Of course if the meet host decides they want to be safe and measure before each session, that's their call to make. If they are confident their bulkhead won't move then they may not see the need. I will say that the pre-meet measurements should be made after the lane lines have been tightened fully. (Yes it can make a difference sometimes.) A quick bit of history: at one point the pre-meet measurements were a recommendation only. A couple years ago some LMSC (I forget which one) proposed an emergency rule change to change the recommendation to a rule, believing that it would be more likely to be followed than a "mere" recommendation. And so it came to pass.
Children
No Data