2014 Canadian Nationals

According to the mymsc.ca website, the 2014 Canadian Nationals will be May 16-19 (Friday-Monday) in Windsor, Ontario, at the brand-new Windsor International Aquatic and Training Centre, aka the Family Aquatic Complex. Windsor is about a half hour's drive from the Detroit airport. I've heard the meet is LCM, though I can't verify it. I also can't verify the event order! Which events on which days? Apparently it's not published yet? Is it known from experience? Does anyone know for sure or have a guess? Thanks.
Parents
  • I have a hard time believing that people would be happy with two-per-lane at a USMS national championship. Actually, there was a time that we used to do two to a lane at all the Nationals as an option. This was a long time ago before live results, before the internet, and in some cases swimmers were forced to swim two to a lane because of time constraints. The first time I ever remember swimming two to a lane was Buffalo 1 in 1988 Long Course Nationals. At that time there was a record # of swimmers signed up for both the 800 Free and 1500 Free and they could pull it off with the timing system. We had to do it otherwise the meet would not end until 2:00 AM. I believe Rob Copeland was at this meet and he swam two to a lane. I remember one of the international meets in Indianapolis, either the 1989 Pan Pacific meet or the 1992 World Meet that swimmers swam the 800 Free two to a lane. It was probably 1992, because I remember this being done in Long Course and not in Short Course. With bulkheads, I don't remember it being done in short course. Long Course would always have 2 pads, so I think it was done mostly in those meets. I going to say for about 7 or 8 years this was an option for swimmers to choose on the entry form. The swimmers that decided to swim two to a lane on distance would be the first ones to swim regardless of age and regardless of time and the slow heats would start first and once they were over, the meet would start one to a lane. I think I swam in Grand Forks in 1989 and Elizabethtown in 1991 that way because I did not want to swim late in the day. Those meets were both Long Course Nationals. I know in 1996 at the University of Michigan, we still swam that way and I not sure when this option ended. I found my May/June 1996 issue of Swim Magazine with Whitney Hedgepeth on the cover and the found the meet information and entry form and if you wanted to swim two to a lane you would place and X in the T column and you knew you would be swimming earlier than you would if you swam one to a lane. Sometimes swimmers would sandbag their times with two to a lane because they did not want to hang around the pool that day. I am not sure swimmers liked the two to a lane but with the option of not staying at the pool all day swimmers would take the two to a lane option. If I recall I think there was only about 3 or 4 heats of swimmers that would pick this option. I think when live results came in, it was stopped. Maybe Jim Matysek would remember because those were the early days of the National Results being live on the USMS server.
  • I have a hard time believing that people would be happy with two-per-lane at a USMS national championship. Actually, there was a time that we used to do two to a lane at all the Nationals as an option. This was a long time ago before live results, before the internet, and in some cases swimmers were forced to swim two to a lane because of time constraints. The first time I ever remember swimming two to a lane was Buffalo 1 in 1988 Long Course Nationals. At that time there was a record # of swimmers signed up for both the 800 Free and 1500 Free and they could pull it off with the timing system. We had to do it otherwise the meet would not end until 2:00 AM. I believe Rob Copeland was at this meet and he swam two to a lane. I remember one of the international meets in Indianapolis, either the 1989 Pan Pacific meet or the 1992 World Meet that swimmers swam the 800 Free two to a lane. It was probably 1992, because I remember this being done in Long Course and not in Short Course. With bulkheads, I don't remember it being done in short course. Long Course would always have 2 pads, so I think it was done mostly in those meets. I going to say for about 7 or 8 years this was an option for swimmers to choose on the entry form. The swimmers that decided to swim two to a lane on distance would be the first ones to swim regardless of age and regardless of time and the slow heats would start first and once they were over, the meet would start one to a lane. I think I swam in Grand Forks in 1989 and Elizabethtown in 1991 that way because I did not want to swim late in the day. Those meets were both Long Course Nationals. I know in 1996 at the University of Michigan, we still swam that way and I not sure when this option ended. I found my May/June 1996 issue of Swim Magazine with Whitney Hedgepeth on the cover and the found the meet information and entry form and if you wanted to swim two to a lane you would place and X in the T column and you knew you would be swimming earlier than you would if you swam one to a lane. Sometimes swimmers would sandbag their times with two to a lane because they did not want to hang around the pool that day. I am not sure swimmers liked the two to a lane but with the option of not staying at the pool all day swimmers would take the two to a lane option. If I recall I think there was only about 3 or 4 heats of swimmers that would pick this option. I think when live results came in, it was stopped. Maybe Jim Matysek would remember because those were the early days of the National Results being live on the USMS server.
Children
No Data