FLOG 2013 Goal: Mission Accomplished and Some Thoughts

Today, 30 Nov., I achieved my 2013 goal of 450kms. That's 1 month ahead of schedule. :) Very pleased. I thought that I had chosen a moderately challenging goal, surpassing my 2012 goal (which was also achieved ahead of schedule). I definitely feel that I was more motivated having committed to a written goal. Having said that, I am thinking about 2014. Do I simply up the distance again? Or maybe it's time for a more qualitative goal. For example working on distance per stroke or my flip turns. I usually swim 5 mornings a week, 2000-2500 meters per session. Now I am thinking of maybe doing 1 longer session per week (3000m.), 2 moderate sessions (2500m.) and 2 shorter, skill focus sessions (1500m.) Any thought or suggestions would be welcomed.
  • Are there any masters meets in Israel? How about open water events?
  • Will you be picking GA Tech as your first meet of 2014? Yes! What events will you be swimming? 400 & 800 free, 100 & 200 back, and maybe one other. On topic: I'm already looking forward to the world championships next summer, where I'm sure to swim the 100 & 200 back. What else? Should it be 50 back + 200 & 400 IM, or maybe 200-400-800 free and the open water race? Last year was all about 200s for me. Maybe this year should be about long axis. Once I pick my races, then I'll know what I'm training for. I hope to see you and Diann there! Me too! See you there!
  • Yes! 400 & 800 free, 100 & 200 back, and maybe one other. On topic: I'm already looking forward to the world championships next summer, where I'm sure to swim the 100 & 200 back. What else? Should it be 50 back + 200 & 400 IM, or maybe 200-400-800 free and the open water race? Last year was all about 200s for me. Maybe this year should be about long axis. Once I pick my races, then I'll know what I'm training for. Me too! See you there! WooHOOO! See you there! Maybe I will even get lucky enough to swim on a relay with you. :agree: Like you and Joshua, I am trying to make those same decisions. Due to physical issues and a stern warning from the surgeon who operated on me for thoracic outlet syndrome, I scaled back on my yardage goal for this year. Last year, I surpassed my goal and swam 454 yards for the year. This year, I originally set 475 yards as my goal; however, I reduced it to 425 after my chat with the doc after Summer Nationals. I'm at 396 yards right now and plan on NOT surpassing my goal (by much, at least). Making qualifying times for Worlds in everything except 200 fly (:cane:) makes it difficult to decide which events to swim. There are so many events I really enjoy! Rather than focusing just on breaststroke like I did in 2010 & 2011, I really enjoyed branching out and trying just about everything in 2012 & 2013. In doing so, I discovered a love for backstroke which was previously my worst and most hated stroke. Now, one of my favorite things to do on a recovery day when I am unmotivated for tough sets is to let loose on a 500 backstroke. :bliss: Like you, I would like to decide what to race at Worlds, so I can focus my training on those events. Decisions, decisions... I am so glad you're going to Worlds! It's going to be a blast!! :applaud:
  • Last year, I surpassed my goal and swam 454 yards for the year. 454 yards? Now THAT's some serious sprint training! :banana:
  • Yes and yes. In fact, due to the mild climate, it's possible to swim in open water much of the year. Also every year Eilat is on the schedule of the FINA open water events and the European Championship was held there last year. Also TI has become very popular in Israel. I assume that if I go for an open water event,certain technique work (like turns) would become irrelevant?
  • 454 yards? Now THAT's some serious sprint training! :banana: Well, I was also training for 200 fly, 400 IM, 1650/1500, open water, and... :D
  • My motivator is, "What are you training for?", which for me means a specific meet, or even a specific event at a specific meet. That's what keeps me going. Of course, fitness is the real goal, but as long as I'm training for something specific, fitness is a happy side effect. Pick a meet, or an open water event, and train for that. You can use the demands of the specific race to guide your training. Once you've done that meet, pick another!
  • Pick a meet, or an open water event, and train for that. You can use the demands of the specific race to guide your training. Once you've done that meet, pick another! Will you be picking GA Tech as your first meet of 2014? What events will you be swimming? I hope to see you and Diann there! :agree: