Looking for plan to qualify for 50 free at Summer Nats

Excited that Summer Nats are east coast. Looking to qualify in 50 free. Right now I am swimming 27 low for 50 scy. I swam a 26.09 last year and a 29.9LCM about two years ago. What sets really work and how many rest days between? I swim 5 to 6 days a week about 50 min sessions. Sometimes I can swim a bit longer. Because of the time constraints, what are thoughts about warm downs? When will cut sheets be posted?
  • When will be your next qualifying meet? great question. Probably not till spring.
  • Have you mixed 8-10 sec bursts with fins? After tough days, try some recovery swimming keeping the HR low. It is also important to guage your nerves in response to training, work, and rest with the goal of sharpening the reflexes before your performance. Plyometrics can help the start and turns, which is half of the race in a 50 With OW swimming, that might dull top speed
  • Plyometrics are good. Fins are good. I have zoomed and medium length fins. I will try to add some strong kicking with fins. I have Tuesday And Thursday for recovery and OW is over now. Went today but 40 deg water hurts too much. I am hoping 2000 yard days are good enough to get the job done.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I love to do the 50 free! Longer events are not my thing as I get bored so quick (might be my ADD). Anyway, for my practice I rarely ever do the complete free stoke in practice. I do other workouts that utilize the components of the stroke but very rarely do I ever do the complete stroke unless I am checking on times. My reason for this (may not be professional) is that I do different portions of the stoke using other other strokes in order to really concentrate and finess say the arm pull, breathing, start, turn, leg kick, etc. If I practice the full free everyday then I find it hard to concentrate on one particular part. If I do a deadman arm pull (using no legs) then I do not have to think about the legs as they are not doing anything, etc. For me this works great, for others maybe not as much. I can say that is has helped tremedously. I wanted to say I had got this off an article on SwimSwam...