Belmont Pool Closed

Belmont Pool Closed "On Thursday, January 10th, the City of Long Beach closed the pool indefinitely after a structural analysis found that the pool was “seismically unsafe,” meaning that even a moderate earthquake would cause severe damage to the facility."
Parents
  • Having swam outdoors in the little warm-up pool at Belmont in January last year, I can tell you, an outdoor swim meet in December in Long Beach would not be a bad thing. (ElaineK, you can chime in with your input :agree:) I grew up there and it wasn't unusual for me and my friends to swim in the ocean during the Christmas break. A pool would be so much warmer. There is a huge difference between swimming a workout in cold weather and swimming a meet.In a workout you are in the water with very little out of the water so the water temperature is the main factor.I have swum once outdoors when it was snowing and was fine in the water.A meet is totally different.It seems the SPMS Dec meet always has rain that weekend.Waiting around in the rain to swim is no fun(ask anyone who was at the Pacific Zone SCY meet last year.)
  • Having swam outdoors in the little warm-up pool at Belmont in January last year, I can tell you, an outdoor swim meet in December in Long Beach would not be a bad thing. (ElaineK, you can chime in with your input :agree:) I grew up there and it wasn't unusual for me and my friends to swim in the ocean during the Christmas break. A pool would be so much warmer. There is a huge difference between swimming a workout in cold weather and swimming a meet.In a workout you are in the water with very little out of the water so the water temperature is the main factor.I have swum once outdoors when it was snowing and was fine in the water.A meet is totally different.It seems the SPMS Dec meet always has rain that weekend.Waiting around in the rain to swim is no fun(ask anyone who was at the Pacific Zone SCY meet last year.)
Children
No Data