Belmont Pool Closed

Belmont Pool Closed "On Thursday, January 10th, the City of Long Beach closed the pool indefinitely after a structural analysis found that the pool was “seismically unsafe,” meaning that even a moderate earthquake would cause severe damage to the facility."
Parents
  • Regarding the community meeting last evening. The two big points of contention are: 1) diving was not considered into the conceptual designs; 2) competition pool would be outdoors I spoke up and stated that one of the reasons the Belmont Pool is a popular location for various competitive events is the very fact that the pool is indoors. If the competition pool is to be outdoors, then it becomes just another outdoor 50 meter pool with a movable bulkhead. The planners agreed to speak with the McCormick Divers regarding diving platforms, and pool depth. The McCormick Divers have been utilizing the pool since it opened in 1968. I am encouraging concerned swimmers to review the report and send e-mails to City Council to recommend the competitive events remain indoors. Thank you,
  • Regarding the community meeting last evening. The two big points of contention are: 1) diving was not considered into the conceptual designs; 2) competition pool would be outdoors I spoke up and stated that one of the reasons the Belmont Pool is a popular location for various competitive events is the very fact that the pool is indoors. If the competition pool is to be outdoors, then it becomes just another outdoor 50 meter pool with a movable bulkhead. The planners agreed to speak with the McCormick Divers regarding diving platforms, and pool depth. The McCormick Divers have been utilizing the pool since it opened in 1968. I am encouraging concerned swimmers to review the report and send e-mails to City Council to recommend the competitive events remain indoors. Thank you,
Children
No Data