Swim Coaches in Trouble

A thread to share news, stories, and comments about swim coaches in trouble Mark Schubert Faces Lawsuit For Wrongful Termination Amid Allegations of Sexual Misconduct By Another Coach - Full Complaint Available; USA Swimming Updated Response -- September 18, 2012 "The lawsuit was filed by attorney Robert Allard on Rianda's behalf." Summons Mon Sep 17, 2012 “Schubert, Former Olympic Team Coach, Sued for Protecting Swim Coach from Sex Abuse Charges” USA Swimming Responds to Statements in Mark Schubert Lawsuit USSwimNscandal.com We are the watchdog group for USA Swimming. Our objectives are to protect athletes and end corruption from the leaders Rick Curl Permanently Banned from USA Swimming September 19, 2012 Currin's attorney, Robert Allard, released the following statement to Swimming World Kelley's NPR Interview Aug 10, 2012 Widespread Sex Abuse of Young Female Swimmers Continues To Plague USA Swimming there's now even a legal specialty Swim Coach Sexual Abuse Lawyers B. Robert Allard USA SWIMMING'S SAFE SPORT PROGRAMMING INDIVIDUALS PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED OR INELIGIBLE USA SWIMMING SAFE SPORT ABUSE REPORTING FORM . .
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Am I imagining things or didn't society quietly condone (or at least ignore) the older guy going after the teenage girl 30+ years ago? I remember hearing stories of coaches and swimmers in the 80's and, while eyebrows were raised a bit, no one was rushing to authorities to correct the situation. In fact, it was often the female swimmer who was looked upon as promiscuous. That's exactly how it happened here in the UK. Arrests took place, but afterwards little more than a token gesture was made to by the governing body to make people more vigilant. Our swimming association was asked to set up a similar 'banned coaches' list to yours. This request was refused. The reason given: "It would violate the coach's human rights."
  • The song is both old and cheesy but, I keep thinking about "Christine, 16" by KISS. An older guy going after a teenage girl in a 70's song that was quite popular. Society has finally evolved to see older guys who go after underage girls as the predators they are. And from my generation, Winger - Seventeen (1988). The issue is complicated by the fact that age of consent laws are different in every state. Not to mention other countries.
  • Am I imagining things or didn't society quietly condone (or at least ignore) the older guy going after the teenage girl 30+ years ago? I remember hearing stories of coaches and swimmers in the 80's and, while eyebrows were raised a bit, no one was rushing to authorities to correct the situation. In fact, it was often the female swimmer who was looked upon as promiscuous. The song is both old and cheesy but, I keep thinking about "Christine, 16" by KISS. An older guy going after a teenage girl in a 70's song that was quite popular. Society has finally evolved to see older guys who go after underage girls as the predators they are. This kind of coach/swimmer "relationship" was going on on two of the teams I swam for in the 70's - we all knew it was happening, yet not one of us said a thing. We thought it was either creepy or cool (depending on the "attractiveness" of the older man), but none of us thought that it was a crime. It wasn't until years later that I realized just how inappropriate it was. I feel kind of bad about it now, but it's just the way we thought back then. Unfortunately, all the unkind locker room gossip was about the girl, not the grown man. I wish I could go back...
  • Unfortunately, all the unkind locker room gossip was about the girl, not the grown man. I wish I could go back... That's what I remember! Crazy, isn't it???
  • Swim Swam PA Coach Jonathan Bell Arrested Again After Third, Fourth Victims Come Forward Swimming World
  • The team will not go down just because of 2 bad apples. It is sad but coming out stronger, too. Um, these aren't simply two bad apples at all. This goes far beyond bad apples. This is child sexual abuse that was either covered up or condoned by a club, according to multiple sources. As a parent I would have a very hard time keeping my teen daughters on a team that had this happen.
  • Judge Orders $2.5 Million Claim in Favor of Plaintiff in Sexual Abuse Case ( Tafflinger v. Hindson )
  • USSwimNscandal.com We are the watchdog group for USA Swimming. Our objectives are to protect athletes and end corruption from the leaders and PROTECTING ATHLETES, ENDING CORRUPTION AND DEMANDING TRANSPARENCY FROM THE ENTITLED AND OVERPAID LEADERSHIP OF USA SWIMMING!!! Splash Of Truth (SplashOfTruth) on Twitter ja.twitter.com/SplashOfTruth Splash Of Truth. @SplashOfTruth. ... Splash Of Truth | Facebook www.facebook.com/pages/Splash-Of-Truth/192938280791246 Joined Facebook · December · November. Splash Of Truth is on Facebook. To connect with Splash Of Truth, sign up for Facebook today. Sign UpLog In · Like ... 'Splash of Truth' is Back | SwimmersCircle | Where Swimmers ... theswimmerscircle.com/2012/02/02/splash-of-truth-is-back/ Feb 2, 2012 ... The Splash of Truth Twitter account posted on Thursday that members of the USA Swimming administration were “announcing to the world” that ... Splash Of Truth | SWIMSWAM swimswam.com/tag/splash-of-truth/ - Cached As many have noticed over the past few weeks, the 'Splash of Truth' website ( ) that has so famously attacked … The Swim Brief: Splash of Truth www.swimbrief.net/2011/03/splash-of-truth.html Mar 11, 2011 ... Signed "A Splash of Truth", the e-mail was the second in the last month to allege that there is high level corruption across USA Swimming.
  • Former Member
    With Schubert Jewell, and Rianda, it's still pretty much at the "he-said-she-said" stage and there is a lot of ambiguity. well not really. You have to speculate - even though it seems obvious - why she was fired. It is not speculation that Schubert: 1) Hired a coach he knew was under investgiation for inappropriate behavior. 2) Was asked to fire the coach repeatedly. I too want to know why was Schubert fired from US swimming.
  • Former Member
    The issue is complicated by the fact that age of consent laws are different in every state. Not to mention other countries. Yes it is, but I'd say that it's regardless of age of consent variations (16 etc.) it violates the coach-athlete relationship. Like a doctor-patient thing. It's there to protect everyone.