Lifeguard certification question

I have been trying to find a viable lifeguarding certification class for almost 2 years now. I live in a small town in Western Massachusetts and the classes I have managed to find are either typically cancelled because of under-enrollment, or, geared toward high school student so meet at times like 3-5 every day for 8 weeks. That doesn't work for me as a woman with a job and a kid. I've tried to hire someone for a private certification course, to no avail, and am really at the end of my rope! So, I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of this place: New England Lifeguard Certification www.nelifeguardcertificationcourses.com/NE_Lifeguard.html I'm not looking to work at a beach or pool, just want to this for peace of mind since my husband and I have a 25-yard lap pool in our backyard. My coach says that obvious, the swimming part will be no problem and this place would allow me to study online, then go to a testing site when ready. Any knowledge about this place or feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I have had both Red Cross and J. Ellis certifications. Both are fine and teach you about the same amount of information. I don't think it really matters who you receive your certification from. If you're not looking to be employed as a lifeguard, a CPR/AED/First Aid class might be very beneficial if you can find one. This may be easier and faster to complete. That would cover the majority of the lifeguard knowledge and is the most important and useful part. The rest of lifeguard class is mostly communication, rescue maneuvers, and using the backboards & tubes. In a backyard pool, you probably won't have a backboard or a tube, so it's not the most necessary info. Good for you though taking such a strong interest in lifeguarding. I know exactly how you feel about the classes. I live in CT and they are hard to find and usually are scheduled for a high schooler with nothing to do after school. Good luck! EDIT: If you want to be certified, with the licenses I've had, you have to do continuing education in order to maintain your certification. J. Ellis was weekly, Red Cross was monthly. I believe both required 4 hours a month of continuing education. I just wanted to make you aware of this if you intend to keep your license up to date. I'm not sure how this works for people that are not working or are between jobs.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    I have had both Red Cross and J. Ellis certifications. Both are fine and teach you about the same amount of information. I don't think it really matters who you receive your certification from. If you're not looking to be employed as a lifeguard, a CPR/AED/First Aid class might be very beneficial if you can find one. This may be easier and faster to complete. That would cover the majority of the lifeguard knowledge and is the most important and useful part. The rest of lifeguard class is mostly communication, rescue maneuvers, and using the backboards & tubes. In a backyard pool, you probably won't have a backboard or a tube, so it's not the most necessary info. Good for you though taking such a strong interest in lifeguarding. I know exactly how you feel about the classes. I live in CT and they are hard to find and usually are scheduled for a high schooler with nothing to do after school. Good luck! EDIT: If you want to be certified, with the licenses I've had, you have to do continuing education in order to maintain your certification. J. Ellis was weekly, Red Cross was monthly. I believe both required 4 hours a month of continuing education. I just wanted to make you aware of this if you intend to keep your license up to date. I'm not sure how this works for people that are not working or are between jobs.
Children
No Data