Lifeguard certification question

I have been trying to find a viable lifeguarding certification class for almost 2 years now. I live in a small town in Western Massachusetts and the classes I have managed to find are either typically cancelled because of under-enrollment, or, geared toward high school student so meet at times like 3-5 every day for 8 weeks. That doesn't work for me as a woman with a job and a kid. I've tried to hire someone for a private certification course, to no avail, and am really at the end of my rope! So, I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of this place: New England Lifeguard Certification www.nelifeguardcertificationcourses.com/NE_Lifeguard.html I'm not looking to work at a beach or pool, just want to this for peace of mind since my husband and I have a 25-yard lap pool in our backyard. My coach says that obvious, the swimming part will be no problem and this place would allow me to study online, then go to a testing site when ready. Any knowledge about this place or feedback is much appreciated! Thanks!
  • You have a 25 yard pool in your backyard!!! You rock!!! I obtained my Pool Lifeguard Certification though a local Parks and Recreation Department (Huntington Beach, CA) which was running a program in conjunction with the American Red Cross No age limit, however I was the oldest in the class. It was hilarious, but you know, I was surprised at how much I had to offer when it came to CPR/First Aid. I knew more than I had I anticipated just from life experiences. The class instructors had informed me that the Red Cross updates the course every two-thee years. CPR has changed big time since the last time I was CPR certified. Check your area for a Private Certification course. I am sure one is available. The Lifeguarding courses in my area were during winter so the Lifeguard prospects could be certified by summer. They were not hirable without the First Aid/CPR, and WSI certifications. I eventually worked towards, and received, four Red Cross Certifications in the space of four months: Lifeguard (Pool) First Aid/CPR Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Swimming Fundamentals I also learned that City vs County Pool Lifeguards in the Los Angeles area are trained differently, and of course Ocean Lifeguards go through different training than Pool Lifeguards. Its all good. Go for it. It will give you peace of mind. Then you have a reason to purchase Lifeguard swimsuits, or you could do what I did have have a custom Lifeguard swimsuit made. I custom ordered a fire engine red Lifeguard swim brief. What was my motivation? Seeing someone have a heart attack in a pool during a swim meet. My Red Cross cards are in my backpack at all times. Regards,
  • Thanks to you both. And thanks for suggesting the YMCA. I have tried every Y in our area, to no avail. I am definitely going to get the certification. Right now, it's just a matter of how. No question about how valuable it can be! And yes, the right to get a lifeguard suit? AWESOME! Wish the YMCA had come through but no classes available. Ugh Ugh Ugh! This organization looks legit. Do you think it feels less legit when it's not the Red Cross certification?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Try the local YMCA (you didn't specify so I picked the biggest burg west of Springfield) www.pittsfieldfamilyymca.org/.../ CPR and First Responder are very useful and often required along with Lifesaving. Depending on your husband's cardia history/health, a defirillator at the house might also be a good investment.
  • Former Member
    I have had both Red Cross and J. Ellis certifications. Both are fine and teach you about the same amount of information. I don't think it really matters who you receive your certification from. If you're not looking to be employed as a lifeguard, a CPR/AED/First Aid class might be very beneficial if you can find one. This may be easier and faster to complete. That would cover the majority of the lifeguard knowledge and is the most important and useful part. The rest of lifeguard class is mostly communication, rescue maneuvers, and using the backboards & tubes. In a backyard pool, you probably won't have a backboard or a tube, so it's not the most necessary info. Good for you though taking such a strong interest in lifeguarding. I know exactly how you feel about the classes. I live in CT and they are hard to find and usually are scheduled for a high schooler with nothing to do after school. Good luck! EDIT: If you want to be certified, with the licenses I've had, you have to do continuing education in order to maintain your certification. J. Ellis was weekly, Red Cross was monthly. I believe both required 4 hours a month of continuing education. I just wanted to make you aware of this if you intend to keep your license up to date. I'm not sure how this works for people that are not working or are between jobs.
  • Try some of the local colleges - my bet is UMASS, Springfield or some of the other schools offer LGT.
  • Former Member
    EDIT: If you want to be certified, with the licenses I've had, you have to do continuing education in order to maintain your certification. J. Ellis was weekly, Red Cross was monthly. I believe both required 4 hours a month of continuing education. I just wanted to make you aware of this if you intend to keep your license up to date. I'm not sure how this works for people that are not working or are between jobs. American Red Cross does not license, they certify. And there is no "continuing education" required to keep that certification. Maybe there is some requirement by an employer to take lifesaving class over and over again at some interval (monthly? doubtful), perhaps you are referring to the CPR class which has a one year certification and must be renewed each year.
  • Former Member
    I have often wondered myself if certifications from Canada are applicable in the US
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Originally Posted by Bill Sive I got my Pool Lifeguard Certification with the joint program at the American Red Cross. The instructors informed me that the courses get updated periodically and that manuals and tutorials with pro essays may be copied at the lifeguard materials section. You may also try private courses in your local area, but you need to be make sure they have positive reviews. Quote collapsed >>> Hi Bill, I'm thinking about recertification and/or continuing education. Is it better to choose American Red Cross Lifeguard Pool recertification courses or a Private Certification agency? Are they offering a digital certificate afterwards?
  • I concur with Steve that Red Cross certification is probably better. A few years ago when I got (re)certified (at a YMCA)...the instructor informed us that several years ago someone got the word "Lifeguard" copy righted. Consequently you need to have the rights to use it, and is why you see the copy right trade mark on t-shirts with that word on it. The word "lifeguard" isn't used in RC course material. The pool I work at, and all the other pools and beaches I go to...the shirts the guards wear now only have "GUARD" on them. So...I'm wondering if the place you mentioned is somehow associated with the copy right holder...and maybe not recognized by the Red Cross, and places that employ 'lifeguards.' By the way...the link you provided in the OP doesn't work for me. Maybe that's an indication???? (Incidentally...in that same (re)cert class the instructor also told us that Dr. Dr. Henry Heimlich had also copy righted his last name. So, also in the course material, the procedure is referred to only as "abdominal thrusts" and not the Heimlich maneuver.) Dan