Migraines after practice

I train with an age group team. Our normal Saturday practices are in a pool around 85º and for 2 hours. The practices may not be hugely high in yardage but very high in intensity. I normally have chronic headaches and lately I've been getting migraines after these Sat practices. I don't know if it's the heat of the pool for the long time or the intensity. I talked to the coach today about getting out after 90 min as I find that helps. He mentioned upping my fluid and nutrition intake. What should I up and what else can I do to avoid the migraines? They are making for very boring weekends for my family as I lay on the couch in pain.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Since this is a migraine thread - anyone ever had the visual migraine aura? I suffered through intense migraines through my youth and then they stopped around 18. Twenty years later got hauled away in an ambulance after blurred vision, scary stuff thought I was having a stroke or something. They thought it was blood sugar, I was back to 100% in an hour after eating a bagel. I've had 5-10 more since, MRI of the brain, etc.. Everything checks out. They are like 45 minute bad acid trips that I learned to comfort myself I would come out of. Haven't had one in a couple of years now .... Herb, this is the migraine I get. Sadly, I live in fear of having them. I've had maybe 4-8 in my life, and I think about them daily. What I have done to prevent them is magnesium, baby aspirin, and fueling/hydration. I feel like I can associate all the ones I have had to lack of nutrition/hydration and exercise. So I always eat and drink, adjusting as necessary. I eat because I know I am going to swim in an hour, not because I am hungry. So far, I have not had one in almost three years (knock on wood), and I think it is because of the magnesium and baby aspirin. The headache wouldn't be bad, it's the aura, confusion, tingling in fingertips, lips, etc that I dread. It is like having a stroke. One time I had one after a swim at the Y, and the Y staff wanted to get me into an ambulance and off their campus asap. All I needed was something to eat and drink, but I didn't get that relief for about two hours as the hospital was treating me like a stroke/heart attach victim. Anyway, good luck with yours. Try not to dread them (as I keep telling myself).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 12 years ago
    Since this is a migraine thread - anyone ever had the visual migraine aura? I suffered through intense migraines through my youth and then they stopped around 18. Twenty years later got hauled away in an ambulance after blurred vision, scary stuff thought I was having a stroke or something. They thought it was blood sugar, I was back to 100% in an hour after eating a bagel. I've had 5-10 more since, MRI of the brain, etc.. Everything checks out. They are like 45 minute bad acid trips that I learned to comfort myself I would come out of. Haven't had one in a couple of years now .... Herb, this is the migraine I get. Sadly, I live in fear of having them. I've had maybe 4-8 in my life, and I think about them daily. What I have done to prevent them is magnesium, baby aspirin, and fueling/hydration. I feel like I can associate all the ones I have had to lack of nutrition/hydration and exercise. So I always eat and drink, adjusting as necessary. I eat because I know I am going to swim in an hour, not because I am hungry. So far, I have not had one in almost three years (knock on wood), and I think it is because of the magnesium and baby aspirin. The headache wouldn't be bad, it's the aura, confusion, tingling in fingertips, lips, etc that I dread. It is like having a stroke. One time I had one after a swim at the Y, and the Y staff wanted to get me into an ambulance and off their campus asap. All I needed was something to eat and drink, but I didn't get that relief for about two hours as the hospital was treating me like a stroke/heart attach victim. Anyway, good luck with yours. Try not to dread them (as I keep telling myself).
Children
No Data