Migraines after practice

I train with an age group team. Our normal Saturday practices are in a pool around 85º and for 2 hours. The practices may not be hugely high in yardage but very high in intensity. I normally have chronic headaches and lately I've been getting migraines after these Sat practices. I don't know if it's the heat of the pool for the long time or the intensity. I talked to the coach today about getting out after 90 min as I find that helps. He mentioned upping my fluid and nutrition intake. What should I up and what else can I do to avoid the migraines? They are making for very boring weekends for my family as I lay on the couch in pain.
Parents
  • I'll add one more vote in agreement with gull, 85 degree water sounds like a likely culprit. I believe that I have read that the frequency emergency room visits due to migraine correlates strongly with temperature. I also think James is on to something with his comment. Is there any way that you can lose the cap? How long is your hair? "Wear a cap" is a common suggestion for helping to deal with cold water. It stands to reason that, "don't wear a cap" might be a good strategy for dealing with warm water. If you must wear a cap, maybe get a lycra one. I'm usually faced with the opposite problem, water that is too cold for me, but on the rare occasions that I have been faced with water that is too warm, I have found that having a bottle of cool water available to splash on my face and hair between swims is quite useful.
  • I'll add one more vote in agreement with gull, 85 degree water sounds like a likely culprit. I believe that I have read that the frequency emergency room visits due to migraine correlates strongly with temperature. I also think James is on to something with his comment. Is there any way that you can lose the cap? How long is your hair? "Wear a cap" is a common suggestion for helping to deal with cold water. It stands to reason that, "don't wear a cap" might be a good strategy for dealing with warm water. If you must wear a cap, maybe get a lycra one. I'm usually faced with the opposite problem, water that is too cold for me, but on the rare occasions that I have been faced with water that is too warm, I have found that having a bottle of cool water available to splash on my face and hair between swims is quite useful.
Children
No Data