Best Swimming Places to retire

Ok, this might be a strange question but here goes. Considering weather, cost of living, outdoor activities and masters swimming, any suggestions on the best places to retire in the Western US?
Parents
  • I'll second the greater Phoenix area as an awesome place to live, retired or not. Along with the Del Webb properties, there's also Sun Lakes (another developer, Robson did this one). The advantage of this is that it is very close to Chandler, and you'd be within a few miles of the 2 pools Chandler keeps open year-round for swimming. I know a few people who live there, min age is 45 (I'll be there in a few years). They have decent lap pools, both indoors and out, and a small masters-type group right in the community. There's golf and all of the other activities that are typically found in retirement communities. I sometimes bike through the area, and people are always friendly, waving to me as they drive past in their golf carts. One great advantage of Sun Lakes is that you'd be an easy drive to swim with either the Mesa team (at either Kino or Skyline pool) or Sun Devil Masters @ ASU (at either the Rec Center or Mona Plummer). There's also Leisure World out in east Mesa, which would be well-situated for the Mesa-Skyline facility, and not a bad drive to Kino. There's many other retirement communities in Mesa that you could select from. Housing prices in Sun Lakes or the Mesa retirement areas are typically much less than elsewhere in the area. Even at the housing peak, most houses in these areas didn't get much above $200-250,000. Now you can probably find something for $100,000 or less.
  • I'll second the greater Phoenix area as an awesome place to live, retired or not. Along with the Del Webb properties, there's also Sun Lakes (another developer, Robson did this one). The advantage of this is that it is very close to Chandler, and you'd be within a few miles of the 2 pools Chandler keeps open year-round for swimming. I know a few people who live there, min age is 45 (I'll be there in a few years). They have decent lap pools, both indoors and out, and a small masters-type group right in the community. There's golf and all of the other activities that are typically found in retirement communities. I sometimes bike through the area, and people are always friendly, waving to me as they drive past in their golf carts. One great advantage of Sun Lakes is that you'd be an easy drive to swim with either the Mesa team (at either Kino or Skyline pool) or Sun Devil Masters @ ASU (at either the Rec Center or Mona Plummer). There's also Leisure World out in east Mesa, which would be well-situated for the Mesa-Skyline facility, and not a bad drive to Kino. There's many other retirement communities in Mesa that you could select from. Housing prices in Sun Lakes or the Mesa retirement areas are typically much less than elsewhere in the area. Even at the housing peak, most houses in these areas didn't get much above $200-250,000. Now you can probably find something for $100,000 or less.
Children
No Data