Inner ear issue

Has anyone experienced inner ear problems impacting the ability to do flip turns? I have dizziness and nausea if try flip turns. I know there are maneuvers to treat, but wondering if others have had this and been successful in successfully resolving. Thank you.

Parents
  • I never had an issue as a kid. So, when I returned to the pool 25 years later, I was shocked to find myself getting dizzy/ill while swimming. A few tips: 

Pressure on the abdomen seems to exasperate the issue. Two things create pressure for me. Eating or drinking too much before / during swimming. And, unintentionally holding my breath. For example, when swimming freestyle I now consciously breath out between breaths. It's a breath in, turn back in and exhale 1-2-3, breath. When i forget I start to feel a little niggle of sickness.

Swimming slower seems to make things worse. I suspect my stroke is off just a little and I might be swimming less straight than I imagine. Speeding up and flexing my core and buttucks (like standing up straight) helps.

When I start to feel that niggle I stop doing flip turns. Just not worth it. I'll give myself 10 - 15 min break and then try going back to it.

Coffee makes things worse.

Before an ocean race I got a good tip: take the non-drowsy dramamine the day before as it needs to be in the system already. I took only half of one because I'm small. Then I took the other half the morning of. No seasickness!

• I never had an issue as a kid. So, when I returned to the pool 25 years later, I was shocked to find myself getting dizzy/ill while swimming. A few tips: 

Pressure on the abdomen seems to exasperate the issue. Two things create pressure for me. Eating or drinking too much before / during swimming. And, unintentionally holding my breath. For example, when swimming freestyle I now consciously breath out between breaths. It's a breath in, turn back in and exhale 1-2-3, breath. When i forget I start to feel a little niggle of sickness.

Swimming slower seems to make things worse. I suspect my stroke is off just a little and I might be swimming less straight than I imagine. Speeding up and flexing my core and buttucks (like standing up straight) helps.

When I start to feel that niggle I stop doing flip turns. Just not worth it. I'll give myself 10 - 15 min break and then try going back to it.

Coffee makes things worse.

Before an ocean race I got a good tip: take the non-drowsy dramamine the day before as it needs to be in the system already. I took only half of one because I'm small. Then I took the other half the morning of. No seasickness!

Children
No Data