We need an injury rant master thread!

So at the time I'm typing this, I look down, and the threads on the front page contain: Tennis Elbow and Shoulder Pain Rotator Cuff Surgery Shoulder Impingement Broken Thumb Anyway, so a lot of us are dealing with injuries. As for me? Turn ulnar collateral ligament in my right thumb. Happened on 12/30. Took a week and a half to diagnose, as it didn't seem that bad when it happened. Anyway, surgery a little later, and 4 weeks with a pin in my thumb (sticking out through the skin). Doctor wouldn't let me swim due to risk of infection. 4 weeks. Grumble, that's 6 weeks total. Pin out yesterday. Still no swimming for another 4 weeks! Arg. It is bad enough I struggle to button my jeans (button fly). But now I can't swim for another month? I'm looking at almost 2.5 months. I'm never gonna get my pre-COVID form back!
  • My body is beaten and malfunctioning but still I have some good use with it
  • I'M surprised that I don't have hand/wrist/elbow injuries from bringing food to my mouth all Covid 19 year! Careful what you think about, Orca... your shoulders will likely remind you of all those "reps" when you start pulling water, again!! Ha!
  • I'M surprised that I don't have hand/wrist/elbow injuries from bringing food to my mouth all Covid 19 year!
  • Any "speed boat" times I had 2 years ago have now turned into "BARGE" times I fear!
  • ...I am experiencing elbow pain on the inner edge of my right elbow, ... Anyway, I welcome any insights on elbows! Well no substitute for good professional medical advice here, but I've had some trouble with my R elbow that sounds very similar to what you describe - aggravated by pressing down and freestyle. I've been helped a lot by the exercise shown at 1:12 in this video: https://youtu.be/u61QWKYgbxI
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Well, I am still working my way back to where I was four years ago when I was struck by a motorboat in open water (saw him coming out of nowhere, only move was to dive and did so--prop clipped my left heel and splayed foot open. Very VERY lucky, and I don't complain (though I have lost my taste for most open water!). Lost five months, have been back in water since beginning of 2018, but have yet to reach my old yardage totals and intensity levels. But feeling good in the water, and 2021 seems like the year! BUT NOW I am experiencing elbow pain on the inner edge of my right elbow, which research suggests is medial epicondylitis, or "golfer's elbow." Has come on fairly suddenly, seems tied to swimming. The pain manifests when I open a jar or press down and in--freestyle pull is very noticeable. Gets gradually better during a workout, weirdly. Anyway, I welcome any insights on elbows!
  • Former Member
    I've been helped a lot by the exercise shown at 1:12 in this video: https://youtu.be/u61QWKYgbxI Thank you, Karl! Glad to know that has helped. What weight amount you have used for the exercise? Most appreciated!
  • Thank you, Karl! Glad to know that has helped. What weight amount you have used for the exercise? Most appreciated! 5# dumbbells, but I think I started with smaller ones. I typically do 3 rounds of 40 reps scattered throughout my dryland session of ~ 1hour.
  • Former Member
    Thank you! I have not made the leap to dryland workouts but I think the time is nearing....
  • Red60, yes - medial epicondylitis (golfers elbow). I suffered 10 years ago and had to get a shot. It worked. Then last September I had it again and suffered and tried almost everything up to now, got a shot yesterday. So far so good. I'm not saying a shot is an ideal option - probably isn't, but I just happen to do heavy work for my job which complicates rehabilitation. Those exercises above are good, might I add that if it causes inflammation to stop. Also eccentric contraction, or negative lengthening movements, doing those might help. There's also an elbow band specific for that you can place below the elbow that takes the pressure off the tunnel. I wear it while swimming and it helps tremendously. Good luck with recovery