Swimming after Broken Thumb

Former Member
Former Member
I had a bike accident on Father's day and broke my left thumb. I am now back in the pool and trying to get my swimming fitness. This has been a painful process and it is only now 6 months later that I can swim most strokes OK I can't swim with thumb out from the palm, which is how you should swim. I have cut the top off some old 'Fist-gloves' and I am using this to support my thumb by holding to closer to my palm. Has anyone else had a similar break ? How long did it take you to get your full strength and range of motion back ? When did the pain go away ?
Parents
  • So, biking accident taking out 67Prince to the trails with his new bike on Wednesday. Me: "Hooray, 2020 is almost over," 2020; "I'm not dead, yet!" Thought thumb was brokoen, but fortunately not quite. Still supposed to keep immobilized and see doc again in a week. They opted to use a whole wrist splint, rather than a cast, fortunately. Still swollen and bruised. Cancelled my reservation for the 100x100SCM practice on Sunday, but hope to not miss a whole week. They did tell me not to swim until my follow-up, butI am thinking that I can do a combination of kick sets and swimming with a splint using small paddles. Will have to put something there to keep the "curve" of my hand somewhat preserved. I have the splint thing figured out I think. Anyway, so my fear here is that if I do too many laps with the paddles and unintentinoally tweak my stroke. Anyone else have to deal with something like this, and if you did, how did you manage?
  • So, biking accident taking out 67Prince to the trails with his new bike on Wednesday. Me: "Hooray, 2020 is almost over," 2020; "I'm not dead, yet!" Thought thumb was brokoen, but fortunately not quite. Still supposed to keep immobilized and see doc again in a week. They opted to use a whole wrist splint, rather than a cast, fortunately. Still swollen and bruised. Cancelled my reservation for the 100x100SCM practice on Sunday, but hope to not miss a whole week. They did tell me not to swim until my follow-up, butI am thinking that I can do a combination of kick sets and swimming with a splint using small paddles. Will have to put something there to keep the "curve" of my hand somewhat preserved. I have the splint thing figured out I think. Anyway, so my fear here is that if I do too many laps with the paddles and unintentinoally tweak my stroke. Anyone else have to deal with something like this, and if you did, how did you manage?
Children
No Data