I cannot attend any meet held in Florida at this time.

I recognize that the decision around where Summer Nationals is to be held is made well in advance of the meet.  Obviously, the recent notification by the NAACP that travel to Florida is not safe for many minorities is a recent development and not one that USMS could have considered in planning the meet.  Nonetheless, and much to my disappointment given my performance in Irvine, I cannot reconcile spending in excess of $1,500 on meals, hotels and rental car in Sarasota (a county that went massively in favor of the governor).

I hope that we do not have another national meet in this state where the leadership is leading the nation spreading bigotry, book banning, and anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric.  Some may suggest that swimming is apolitical. I strongly support the freedom for others to hold whatever personal opinions they may choose. That does not mean that I can reconcile providing my personal financial support to them as if nothing offensive has happened.

I hope that USMS will consider holding future events at venues where all members feel comfortable attending and that represent the core values of diversity and inclusion that this venue does not.  

Parents Reply Children
No Data