2024 USMS Spring National Championship and Olympic Trials Ticket Announcement

USMS is heading back to Indy for 2024 USMS Spring Nationals (June 20-24)! The dates will overlap with the U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Swimming (June 15-23) at Lucas Oil Stadium! Tickets for Trials and hotel blocks are available for USMS members now. Links:

Parents
  • Not going to lie, this decision makes zero sense to me.  Most of this "spring" nationals will actually take place in the summer.  If they were trying to piggy back off Olympic Trials, why not do it like they did in 2012.  Even if you couldn't host it in the actual OT pool, late June is the middle of Long Course season.  Is USMS planning to run another Nationals 6 weeks later?  Or are they going to try and shoehorn a meet into October?  This just seems overly gimmicky and messes with the normal schedule for USMS and swimming in the USA in general.  It doesn't feel like some sort of precident was set with the 2021 Nationals.  Those were all whacky due to COVID (and rightly so).  I know for me personally I won't be switching gears to travel to a SCY meet in the middle of LCM season, and wouldn't attend a LCM championship if it was pushed to October.

• i guess its a matter of perspective. i turn 75 during the meet so i am very excited for this opportunity to swim a yard meet as soon as as i age up !Grinning

Reply Children
  • Oh for sure.  Not trying to rally people to my side or convince USMS to change course. Some people will love a SCY meet in June and a chance to rub shoulders with olympians.  Me personally, not my cup of tea (mainly the SCY meet in late June and another nationals 8 weeks later).  I’ll probably take a flyer on national level meets in 2024 and just swim local :)

• Thanks, . FWIW, in 2012 both Spring (Greensboro, 1,864 swimmers) and Summer (Omaha, 1,257 swimmers) Nationals were well attended and only 10 weeks apart. 

We understand this will not suit everyone's schedule, but having IU Natatorium nearby and capable of hosting even our largest Nationals (2,378 swimmers at 2018 Spring Nationals), this made it possible to combine the marquee USMS event with Olympic Trials.

• word.  I think if I was wishing for anything, it would have been that USMS just make the Indiannapolis Nationals LCM and have it just be early, rather than conducting a SCY meet in the middle of LCM season.

• We considered that option as well. Either way Spring/Summer Nationals would be ~2 months apart (April/June or June/August), but since IU Natatorium can accommodate 2,000+ swimmers we wanted to give as many USMS members as possible the opportunity to take advantage of what promises to be a very memorable experience. Again, thanks for your feedback.