2024 USMS Spring National Championship and Olympic Trials Ticket Announcement

USMS is heading back to Indy for 2024 USMS Spring Nationals (June 20-24)! The dates will overlap with the U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Swimming (June 15-23) at Lucas Oil Stadium! Tickets for Trials and hotel blocks are available for USMS members now. Links:

• So it going to count for 2024 Top Ten and AA?

• My understanding is that the 2023-24 short course yards Top 10 season would be extended through Spring Nationals (typically ends May 31). 

• Are some of the USMS races going to be held in the Olympic Trials pool?

•   All Spring Nationals racing will take place at the IU Natatorium, which will be setup short course yards. USMS members will have an exclusive opportunity to meet Olympians and swim in the Trials competition pool on Sunday, June 23 with a donation to the USA Swimming Foundation, which provides grants to USMS Adult Learn-to-Swim programs. That is the final day of Trials and there isn't a prelims session so we'll have a few hour window morning/midday with blocks of times for USMS members to reserve. We also plan to end each Spring Nationals session with plenty of time to get over to Lucas Oil Stadium to watch finals each evening. More details to come. 

• Not going to lie, this decision makes zero sense to me.  Most of this "spring" nationals will actually take place in the summer.  If they were trying to piggy back off Olympic Trials, why not do it like they did in 2012.  Even if you couldn't host it in the actual OT pool, late June is the middle of Long Course season.  Is USMS planning to run another Nationals 6 weeks later?  Or are they going to try and shoehorn a meet into October?  This just seems overly gimmicky and messes with the normal schedule for USMS and swimming in the USA in general.  It doesn't feel like some sort of precident was set with the 2021 Nationals.  Those were all whacky due to COVID (and rightly so).  I know for me personally I won't be switching gears to travel to a SCY meet in the middle of LCM season, and wouldn't attend a LCM championship if it was pushed to October.

• When I first read it I thought it was going to be done like in 2012. I was pretty excited about that. This does seem like a gimmick and it’s going to make it very complicated to try and swim fast at nationals and then turn around and swim fast again at another nationals six weeks later. I age up to 75 in 2024 so it is a very important year for me. 

• What is the amount of the donation?

• and   Thanks for your feedback. We considered many options for this event. The 2012 Omaha format (Nationals a week later in the Trials pool) was not viable due to date conflicts with the venue and the cost would've been enormous. There's a big difference between an arena in Omaha and an NFL stadium.

This unique opportunity to race at USMS Nationals during the day and watch Olympians qualify for Team USA at night was only possible since Indy has another premier swimming venue with IU Natatorium about a mile away from Lucas Oil Stadium where Trials will be held.

We are currently evaluating date/location options for 2024 USMS Summer Nationals. Most likely it will be in late August (so 8+ weeks after Spring Nationals). 

Stay tuned for more details. We hope to see you at one or both 2024 Nationals!

• TBD for the donation amount. 

• Thank you, that is good to hear.