2018 Spring Nationals SCY vs SCM

There is a question of whether to have 2018 Nats in Indy SCY or SCM. What do you think?
Parents
  • It's good to see the idea of changing nationals to SCM at least being considered. We need to break out of our America-centered bubble and admit that SCY is an anachronism, quaint but increasingly meaningless. Imagine a track meet with 220/440/880 yard events. Meters is the world standard and insisting on our own "unofficial" format is simply out of touch. It's understandable that SCY meets persist because we've invested in that infrastructure for so long, but we should be actively phasing it out by discouraging the construction of 25 yard pools like we did 50 yard format. In my opinion, new pools should at least have a metric format option. We should not fear the transition from yards to meters. Let's evolve! I remember sometime around 1975 when I was in 2nd grade our math books had problems on the left page that were english units and problems on the right that were metric units. We were told it was good to start getting comfortable with metric units because by the year 1980 we would be fully switched over to metric. :rofl:
  • It's good to see the idea of changing nationals to SCM at least being considered. We need to break out of our America-centered bubble and admit that SCY is an anachronism, quaint but increasingly meaningless. Imagine a track meet with 220/440/880 yard events. Meters is the world standard and insisting on our own "unofficial" format is simply out of touch. It's understandable that SCY meets persist because we've invested in that infrastructure for so long, but we should be actively phasing it out by discouraging the construction of 25 yard pools like we did 50 yard format. In my opinion, new pools should at least have a metric format option. We should not fear the transition from yards to meters. Let's evolve! I remember sometime around 1975 when I was in 2nd grade our math books had problems on the left page that were english units and problems on the right that were metric units. We were told it was good to start getting comfortable with metric units because by the year 1980 we would be fully switched over to metric. :rofl:
Children
No Data