Top Ten list for 2020-21

A friend at the pool the other day opined that USMS might push back the May 31 deadline for 2020-21 SCY Top Ten to accommodate those swimming at our delayed SC Nats July 21-25.  Wanted to put in my two cents that I would be decisively against this idea.  It would be a one year exception that could negatively impact the list for years to come.  I would image there could be several swimmers that "age up" in that June 1 - July 25 time frame, who could "bump" others off the list.  Do not disenfranchise those that qualify within our current rules, for a one year exception.  I realize that with the pandemic some have not had the same opportunities to compete as others -  but suffice to say, there have been many areas of life that the pandemic has impacted in a less than equitable way.

• I probably will try to go to Greensboro if it counts for this year, probably too much trouble if it doesn’t. 

• I also am thinking of trying to recover from surgery to swim Greensboro -----ifit is held. I aged up April 7th so the date change is the same for me.

• I agree with you. The dates should remain intact. Any top ten times done at SCY Nationals will count for the next years list from June 1st 2021 to May 31st 2022. Moving or expanding  this years 6/1/2020-5/31/2021 list would violate the integrity. 
    plus last year the LCM and SCM Too Ten dates stayed the same. 

• This makes sense to me.  It would be a little funky because the chances of people being on two age groups' Top Ten lists increases with two Nationals during a qualifying period, but I don't think that's that big of an issue. 

• I think we've had this discussion before.  If history is any indicator, I'm certain there will be no changes regardless of fairness concerns. The deadlines for SCY, SCM, LCM will all remain the same.  SC and LC nationals will be pushed to 2022 top tens.  It's a strange blend of strict rule adherence and "why so serious...it's only masters."

• If you move the dates there may be a few people born the less than 3 month difference who can age up. This will effect a few people and their competition. If you don't move the dates there will effectively be no Nationals in 2021 for everyone and 2 in 2022. 

• Sorry, I just can't see this as an integrity issue. Spring Nationals migrates all over April and May so that sometimes someone born say May 1 would age up and sometimes not.Starting the SCY year on 6/1 is totally arbitrary. Frankly I'd like for all our courses seasons to allign with the calendar year. FINA  just announced on year that we were all born on1/1, where is the integrity in that.

• I contacted the National Office regarding this and they said there was no plan to extend the deadline until SCY Nationals.  

• They told me they hadn’t decided, hmmm

• The USMS BOD asked the Records and Tabulations committee for a recommendation regarding extending the dates for the SCY and LCM top ten lists this year so that they would include nationals.  The RT committee had a spirited discussion and then voted to keep the dates the same (decided by 1 vote).  The prevailing decision was influenced by the dates listed in our rule book and the desire for less confusion.  Again, it was very close and I appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks!

MJ Caswell

Chair Records and Tabulation Committee