Big Shoulders swim in Chicago

Many on our team - Elgin Blue Wave - are in this race. Hope for good weather and mild water temps for all!
Parents
  • Most people probably believe that since the time that registration opens is made public well before it opens, that everyone has equal opportunity to register so it is as "fair" of a system as they can provide. In the case where a race is popular and I expect it to sell out, I make sure I am online when the registration opens so that I can be sure to get in. But it is unfortunate, perhaps even unfair, for those who are unable or unavailable to register right when registration opens. Any suggestions as to how to improve this? Quite a few races (both runs and swims) have gone to lotteries. I didn't get into the Boston Light Swim solo section this year due to not making the lottery. But as it seemed a pretty impartial selection system, I had no complaints. And a friend who entered the relay division got in so invited me to be on his team--not the solo, but it was a very good experience, providing me with a preview so I have a better understanding of how the race works and what to expect--and thus tailor my training for next year. A local run uses a lottery system after people had the kind of problems you describe. They allow a bypass for members of Mid-Atlantic USATF, because the race is part of a grand-prix series. Members first enter the lottery as everyone does. If they're selected, then great. If not, there's a procedure they can follow to get entry. There may also be exceptions for entrants raising funds for specific charities... so quite a lot of people do manage to get in, but not everyone. I can understand the disappointment if you were aiming at a national championship. And if they weren't able to set up an alternative venue in an emergency, maybe there could be a way to transfer the championship status to an upcoming event. But there would need to be a "line of succession" built in, perhaps. So for instance, a national championship scheduled for City A has to be canceled. But City B has a swim of the same distance and status as the one in City A and is, say, a week or two later. There could be an agreement to transfer the championship--and the entries of those with qualifying seed times--to City B's event. Just a thought... --or other events could offer some kind of package deal for those whose events were canceled. I'm not sure how that would work or if it could be done. When they canceled the New York City Marathon in 2012, NYCM runners were given slots in the Philly Marathon even though it had officially sold out. But they had to pay again after paying quite few clams to run New York. (I'd have been for charging only the early reg. fee, at least--can't remember if they did that.) I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to commit so much and then have it not go off.
  • Most people probably believe that since the time that registration opens is made public well before it opens, that everyone has equal opportunity to register so it is as "fair" of a system as they can provide. In the case where a race is popular and I expect it to sell out, I make sure I am online when the registration opens so that I can be sure to get in. But it is unfortunate, perhaps even unfair, for those who are unable or unavailable to register right when registration opens. Any suggestions as to how to improve this? Quite a few races (both runs and swims) have gone to lotteries. I didn't get into the Boston Light Swim solo section this year due to not making the lottery. But as it seemed a pretty impartial selection system, I had no complaints. And a friend who entered the relay division got in so invited me to be on his team--not the solo, but it was a very good experience, providing me with a preview so I have a better understanding of how the race works and what to expect--and thus tailor my training for next year. A local run uses a lottery system after people had the kind of problems you describe. They allow a bypass for members of Mid-Atlantic USATF, because the race is part of a grand-prix series. Members first enter the lottery as everyone does. If they're selected, then great. If not, there's a procedure they can follow to get entry. There may also be exceptions for entrants raising funds for specific charities... so quite a lot of people do manage to get in, but not everyone. I can understand the disappointment if you were aiming at a national championship. And if they weren't able to set up an alternative venue in an emergency, maybe there could be a way to transfer the championship status to an upcoming event. But there would need to be a "line of succession" built in, perhaps. So for instance, a national championship scheduled for City A has to be canceled. But City B has a swim of the same distance and status as the one in City A and is, say, a week or two later. There could be an agreement to transfer the championship--and the entries of those with qualifying seed times--to City B's event. Just a thought... --or other events could offer some kind of package deal for those whose events were canceled. I'm not sure how that would work or if it could be done. When they canceled the New York City Marathon in 2012, NYCM runners were given slots in the Philly Marathon even though it had officially sold out. But they had to pay again after paying quite few clams to run New York. (I'd have been for charging only the early reg. fee, at least--can't remember if they did that.) I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to commit so much and then have it not go off.
Children
No Data