Big Shoulders swim in Chicago

Many on our team - Elgin Blue Wave - are in this race. Hope for good weather and mild water temps for all!
Parents
  • Not sure what the contigency plan would be. Indoor pool? Weather is going to suck in all parts of the lake. I suppose I was implying that bid preference should be given to teams with a contingency (backup) plan. And caution should be taken when awarding bids to teams without a backup plan and in a location where weather and/or conditions can be unpredictable. I do realize that this was the first time in 25 years that the swim had to be canceled, so it is perhaps not statistically significant and the bid would have been awarded regardless. An indoor pool swim wasn't what I had in mind, but rather some other venue that is within driving distance. Given that the forecast 72 hours, 48 hours and 24 hours out looked very unfavorable, there might have been sufficient time to notify swimmers that the championship was going to move to the "backup venue." As for a contingency plan, here's an example: next year our team is hosting the 10K national championship in southern Oregon at Applegate Lake. This year this swim had to be canceled due to low water levels and dangerously warm water. Next year, since it is the national championship, we're discussing having a backup plan to move to other local lakes in the case of similarly dry and hot conditions to this year. If conditions aren't good in Applegate Lake in 2016, we'll might move to another lake in the region that has more stable water levels and is cooler. Perhaps there are other lakes in the Midwest region, though maybe not in Chicago metro, that could have served as backups? Just offering some feedback here to USMS to see if there is a way to improve the way National Championships are currently administered.
  • Not sure what the contigency plan would be. Indoor pool? Weather is going to suck in all parts of the lake. I suppose I was implying that bid preference should be given to teams with a contingency (backup) plan. And caution should be taken when awarding bids to teams without a backup plan and in a location where weather and/or conditions can be unpredictable. I do realize that this was the first time in 25 years that the swim had to be canceled, so it is perhaps not statistically significant and the bid would have been awarded regardless. An indoor pool swim wasn't what I had in mind, but rather some other venue that is within driving distance. Given that the forecast 72 hours, 48 hours and 24 hours out looked very unfavorable, there might have been sufficient time to notify swimmers that the championship was going to move to the "backup venue." As for a contingency plan, here's an example: next year our team is hosting the 10K national championship in southern Oregon at Applegate Lake. This year this swim had to be canceled due to low water levels and dangerously warm water. Next year, since it is the national championship, we're discussing having a backup plan to move to other local lakes in the case of similarly dry and hot conditions to this year. If conditions aren't good in Applegate Lake in 2016, we'll might move to another lake in the region that has more stable water levels and is cooler. Perhaps there are other lakes in the Midwest region, though maybe not in Chicago metro, that could have served as backups? Just offering some feedback here to USMS to see if there is a way to improve the way National Championships are currently administered.
Children
No Data