I want to roll a sub :30 50 free......in my dreams I want a sick number like a 25 sec 50 free.

So far....I'm down to 31:34

What percentage of my daily workout should be just speed oriented and what percentage  logging yards with sets of 200s or more?

How often in say a week should I be training with USRPT workouts?

How often should I be using gear like a parachute for resistance? Do a couple hundies each training session or only every so often?

Is there anywhere here that I can look at a workout program that is like "ok your race is two months out.....here's workouts that will help you peak in eight weeks? It seems so many workouts here are just people posting "this was a killer workout" Ok great but if it isn't part of a structured plan then what benefit is it to me? Or....can you make the argument that hey, just pick any workout it's all going to the same goal no matter how you get there? 

Parents
  • Karl-S's comments are good suggestions.  There are a couple of ways you can "self-test" for stroke/physical limitations holding you back - regardless of your age:

Streamlining:  Do the best streamline push-off you can.  Hold it until you surface.  If you surface 12-15 yards out or beyond, you have a pretty good streamline (or else very strong legs).  If you come up sooner, your streamline may need work or your legs are weak or you just aren't use to streamlining that far.  A dryland test of your streamline is lying face down on the floor in a streamline position (forehead on the floor).  Try to put a 3-4" block between your hands and the floor as well as between your feet (toes pointed) and the floor.  if you can do this, your back and shoulders have good flexibility for a good streamline.

Ankle flexibility:  Really pointing your toes makes a huge difference.  If you cannot point your toes past 45 degrees, that will definitely hinder your speed.  You can also test this in the pool.  Flutter Kick a few 25s with a kickboard and count your downkicks for each 25.  Assuming you push-off about 3-5 yards, if you are in the 55-70 range and get to the end of the pool in ~30-45 seconds, that is pretty good.  if you are over 100 or it takes forever to get to the end, your ankle flexibility and/or kick mechanics need work. 

Strokes/length:  Count your strokes for a 25 (assuming you surface 5-7 yards after the push-off) at 65-70% effort.  If you take more than 20 strokes, your stroke mechanics need some attention.  If you are in the 14-16 range, you may be ok, but this is not guaranteed.

Tempo and arm relationships:  This is where Karl_S's suggest is really needed and someone needs to watch you.  Sprinting is NOT the time for catch-up stroke, dead spots/gliding at the front of the stroke, etc..  

Head/Feet position:  Again, someone should watch and give feed back about head/feet position to make sure your feet are close to the surface and the water is hitting your head somewhere between your hairline and the top of your head.  Your body position should be neutral or very slightly arched and your butt should NOT be out of the water.  Beware people telling you to do downward "T" presses with your chest or push your hips up without watching to give feedback - both of these are very, very high level, subtle things to work on and only when everything else is dialed in.

Kick mechanics:  kicking drives hip and shoulder rotation.  If you cannot kick tight and fast, up and down, your hips and shoulders tempo will be compromised.  Again, you need someone watching this.

Hope these help - there are alot of self-diagnostics you can do if you know what to concentrate on.

Good luck...

• The metrics I posted above were for swimmers in the 20-50 range who have previous swimming experience.  All of these have to be tempered as we age.  For example, when I was in my 40-50s, I could pretty easily streamline glide to 12-15 yards.  I am 70 now and was absolutely blown away yesterday when I surfaced at 10 yards.  

My point being, use these metrics as guidelines. As Karl_S commented, find a knowledgeable swimmer to watch you and provide feedback.  Technique trumps everything!

• The metrics I posted above were for swimmers in the 20-50 range who have previous swimming experience.  All of these have to be tempered as we age.  For example, when I was in my 40-50s, I could pretty easily streamline glide to 12-15 yards.  I am 70 now and was absolutely blown away yesterday when I surfaced at 10 yards.  

My point being, use these metrics as guidelines. As Karl_S commented, find a knowledgeable swimmer to watch you and provide feedback.  Technique trumps everything!

Children
No Data