Intermediate One-Hour Workouts: the 40-something edition

Hello all! I wanted to start a thread to catalogue and share some of my workouts with the community. I will be adding each workout as a reply to this thread. My swimming history and current relevant details (to provide some context): Age: 46, male Details: Job, kids, married, mortgage, etc. I can schedule one hour in the pool about 3-4 times a week. Main stroke: Freestyle (almost exclusively so) History: Swam competitively in high school, 1985-1989 (back when we used the S-shaped pull!). Fastest times 100y free :56.1, 4x100y split :55.1 (my final race!) No lap swimming between March, 1989 and September, 2017 Current condition (as of this post): Can complete 2,500y workouts in under an hour with no issues. Can swim an actual mile (1760 yards, rounded up to 1800 yards) without stopping. Short-term goals: 3,000y workout in 1 hour. Refine mechanics. 50y free in :30, 100y in 1:05, 1800y in under 30:00. Medium-term goals: 50y free in :27, break 1:00 in 100y free. Compete in a swim meet. Complete a triathlon. Long-term goals: Match fastest time as a high-school swimmer. Peak achievements: Beat my fastest high-school time. Complete an Ironman 70.3. I know these are kind of basic/uncomplicated workouts, but they are easy to remember and fit into a specific set of time constraints. Hopefully this thread is useful for fellow swimmers that fall into a similar category as mine! Worth noting: All of these workouts have been done wearing regular-guy swim trunks. I've just purchased a pair of jammers and a swim cap so I'm interested to see how that impacts my interval times.
Parents Reply Children
No Data