Swimming for muscle mass

Former Member
Former Member
Hi Folks! First of all a little bit about me: - I've been lifting weights for 7 years - I have a degree in Sportsmanagement as well as numerous certifications for personal training, body pump etc. - Im a Jiu Jitsu instructor before bodybuilding and swimming - My left elbow has arthirtis, I got a pretty big bone spur in my right knee and i have a bulged disc between my shoulder blades... Im 23 years old lol Im pretty beat up for my age, so are the colleagues that I run our martial arts school with. I've been looking for a a way to build muscle without recking my joints any longer. I was also rather enthusiastic about swimming in my younger less athletic years. I want to start swimming and keep/build the muscle that I built over the years. I know that you need progressive overload and calories to build muscle etc... Do you guys think I could have a jacked body if I: - wear a weight vest whilst doing sprints with different strokes? - use a swim buoy - wear ankle and/or wrist weights whilst doing sprints - wear loose clothing whilst doing sprint - use a kick boad - or any combination of the above to increase progressive overload? From what I could gather ankle/wrist weights and weight vests are rather dangerous for joint health and Ive also read that they dont properly "drag" you in the correct direction which causes improper technique. So what do you expereienced people think? Or do you have any other ideas how I could give my muscles more workload in the water? PS: Im willing to sacrifice SOME muscle mass if I can train hard without injury. Cheers, Yoshi
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hi Folks! First of all a little bit about me: - I've been lifting weights for 7 years - I have a degree in Sportsmanagement as well as numerous certifications for personal training, body pump etc. - Im a Jiu Jitsu instructor before bodybuilding and swimming - My left elbow has arthirtis, I got a pretty big bone spur in my right knee and i have a bulged disc between my shoulder blades... Im 23 years old lol Im pretty beat up for my age, so are the colleagues that I run our martial arts school with. I've been looking for a a way to build muscle without recking my joints any longer. I was also rather enthusiastic about swimming in my younger less athletic years. I want to start swimming and keep/build the muscle that I built over the years. I know that you need progressive overload and calories to build muscle etc... Do you guys think I could have a jacked body if I: - wear a weight vest whilst doing sprints with different strokes? - use a swim buoy - wear ankle and/or wrist weights whilst doing sprints - wear loose clothing whilst doing sprint - use a kick boad - or any combination of the above to increase progressive overload? From what I could gather ankle/wrist weights and weight vests are rather dangerous for joint health and Ive also read that they dont properly "drag" you in the correct direction which causes improper technique. So what do you expereienced people think? Or do you have any other ideas how I could give my muscles more workload in the water? PS: Im willing to sacrifice SOME muscle mass if I can train hard without injury. Cheers, Yoshi You have readers good information on how muscle mass can be increased by swimming. Keep posting any other benefits of swimming.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hi Folks! First of all a little bit about me: - I've been lifting weights for 7 years - I have a degree in Sportsmanagement as well as numerous certifications for personal training, body pump etc. - Im a Jiu Jitsu instructor before bodybuilding and swimming - My left elbow has arthirtis, I got a pretty big bone spur in my right knee and i have a bulged disc between my shoulder blades... Im 23 years old lol Im pretty beat up for my age, so are the colleagues that I run our martial arts school with. I've been looking for a a way to build muscle without recking my joints any longer. I was also rather enthusiastic about swimming in my younger less athletic years. I want to start swimming and keep/build the muscle that I built over the years. I know that you need progressive overload and calories to build muscle etc... Do you guys think I could have a jacked body if I: - wear a weight vest whilst doing sprints with different strokes? - use a swim buoy - wear ankle and/or wrist weights whilst doing sprints - wear loose clothing whilst doing sprint - use a kick boad - or any combination of the above to increase progressive overload? From what I could gather ankle/wrist weights and weight vests are rather dangerous for joint health and Ive also read that they dont properly "drag" you in the correct direction which causes improper technique. So what do you expereienced people think? Or do you have any other ideas how I could give my muscles more workload in the water? PS: Im willing to sacrifice SOME muscle mass if I can train hard without injury. Cheers, Yoshi You have readers good information on how muscle mass can be increased by swimming. Keep posting any other benefits of swimming.
Children
No Data