Kick Only Workouts: Ideas Needed!

I'm looking for ideas on kick only workouts for shoulder injuries. I actually didn't injure my shoulder swimming...technically: a 17 year old jumped straight down on it in the warm up lane this weekend. :bitching: I've got drs orders to skip arms for the next 6 weeks while I do PT. I'm trying to come up with some interesting kick only workouts and everything's coming up a bit vanilla. I also can't decide what percentage to devote to fins vs/no fins/vs endurance/vs sprints and all that jazz. I'm a weak kicker, unless it's breaststroke, so this should be good for me. I've tried searching but the few threads I've found don't seem to have much information and the coached workouts are tricky to dig through and just look for kick workouts. I'm really not even sure how many yards I need as my kick is much slower. I'm guessing about 1/2 the yards I would normally do, so maybe 1500-2000?
  • Today I was unusually very limited in time and felt only like I got a warm up in: 1,150 yards ~ 30 minutes 400 yards: alternate kick style by 25 with snorkel (no fins): dolphin/flutter/whip/flutter 10 x 50 with fins on back: first 50 dolphin/second 50 flutter. Medium Effort on 10-15 seconds rest. (For me 1:00) 10 x 25 Whip Kick with Snorkel on 45 (~5-7 seconds rest), first half 25 strong, second half 25 speed And at this point I needed to stretch and jump out but would have liked more and a cool down. I barely got warmed up and it felt off not using arms. I also couldn't streamline which slowed things down a bit and was pretty disappointing.
  • Find some deeper water and do some vertical kicking!
  • How about 5 rounds of 300: That looks interesting! :). I'll try it on my next workout. Thanks! Today I did: 300 warm up with snorkel, alternate by 25: flutter/whip/flutter/dolphin 100 dolphin on back with fins Get heart going hard: Vertical kicking 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. Raise hands as possible (could only streamline with one arm) every 10 seconds Set 1: 10 with fins, alternate flutter with dolphin. Set 2: 5 Whip, 5 Flutter, 5 Dolphin Easy 50 yards sculling movements from the elbows with flutter kick Drill Sets on 10 seconds rest 4x25 Egg Beaters 4x25 Core Dolphin on Back (put on zoomers, take a pull buoy and put in between thighs. Dolphin kick focusing on the core, not moving the legs. 4 sets of 10 blast offs in shallow end. 10 x 25 - dolphin underwater as hard and long as possible off the wall, cruise to the end doing easy kicking and sculling as able. Little to no rest in between. 150 cool down easy kicking. Total : ~1375 equivalent plus the blastoffs (figure every 30 second vertical kick was a 25). 1 hour.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 8 years ago
    How about 5 rounds of 300: R1: 6x50 w/ fins as 25 underwater dolphin/25 fast bk flutter R2: 6x50 w/ fins as 25 fast bk flutter/25 underwater dolphin R3: 4x75 or 3x100 choice focusing on distance per kick R4: 6x50 fr desc 1-3, 4-6 R5: 3x{4x25} variable sprint non-fr/fr/non-fr ("variable sprint" means: 12.5 fast/12.5 ez; 12.5 ez/12.5 fast; 25 ez; 25 fast)
  • Vertical kicking is my go-to move whenever my shoulders are acting up, or when pool space is so crowded during lap swim that doing the set I wanna do is impossible. Throw in fins for more power work, or use a weight belt/brick, or even DragSox. There is some more vertical kick sets here: www.yourswimlog.com/.../