How to get back into training?

Former Member
Former Member
Hello everyone! I have decided to really get back into competing. I was wondering if any of you would offer some advice on workouts for someone who is VERY out of shape and slightly overweight:blush:. I have pretty much 24hr access to a pool (I'm a YMCA employee plus I coach the Y team). It's funny how I can create a whole season of workouts for my team but I can't do it for myself! I just feel like I don't know where to start! Help! Thank you! :):):):)
  • It doesn't matter what the workout is just get in the pool and swim. Make it challenging but adjust your workout according to what will keep you interested. Remember you're in it for the long haul. For some specific workouts we'd need to know your age, type of swimmer and approx. experience/capabilities. Some of the workouts in the workout section are great to use as guides.
  • Ok, so you're still young. I returned to swimming when I was 32 (that was many years ago now) but what I learned was I could still do whatever I did in high school and college. My first year back I swam for about 3 months and then went to state meet. My times were a second or three off for the 50 & 100 distances but good enough to get me hooked. The next year I decided to give it my full attention and worked out with the high school team. I was able to get within a second of my lifetime bests. I do remember times when I couldn't raise my arms to put them under my pillow at night so it definitely wasn't easy. My point is you can do anything you used to do. Don't limit your workouts because you think your older now. Granted it wont be easy and your workouts will get worse before they get better but if you stay with it you'll be amazed with the results. A good workout strategy would be to set a goal of swimming 3 days a week with an hour of swimming and trying to get 3000 yards (you can always add more days as you acclimate). I usually do a 500 - 600 warm up, followed by a swim set, a kick set, a pull set and then warm down. you can tailor your times and distances accordingly. For specific sets, be sure to review the workout section of the usms site. Good luck.
  • After letting my swim skills atrophy for 27 years, I got back in the pool last fall. I started with a few weeks of relatively aimless swimming, just going back and forth re-acquiring a feel for the water and building some semblance of endurance. Then I started doing USRPT training, 45-70 minutes a workout, 5-6 times a week, putting in 10-12k yards a week. If finally paid off with National Qualifying Times at a meet today in the 200 and 500 free.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 9 years ago
    Ah ok. I'm 31, I swam from 7 years old to 18 (rec, USA-S, and High School Team). My best 50 free time my senior year was 27.80. I am great in all 4 strokes. My best events were, 50, 100, 200 Free; 50 and 100 back; 50 and 100 fly; 100 and 200 IM. I'm not really into ***. I think it's too slow lol. :) I hope this helps!
  • Gary P: wow! Nationals? that's awesome! my goal is to try to swim about 45-60min a workout. I took 5 months of very race-focused workouts. And I swam two Summer Nationals qualifying times, which were easier than Spring Nationals qualifying times in the same events. But I really came a long way in 5 months with USRPT. Because of the limited time I had, I kept the training focused on two events. At first it was the 100 and the 200 free. I later replaced the 200 with the 400M/500Y free. Before the switch, I was rarely in the water more than 50 minutes a workout. If you stick to race distances of 100M, you could maybe see meaningful improvement in the three events (free, fly, and back) with an hour 5 times a week. The training sets for the 200 take a little longer. If your goal is simply general fitness, you can probably find something less intense that will do the job. But if you're thinking about getting back into competitive swimming, take a few minutes and peak down the rabbit hole that is Ultra Short Race Paced Training. It may turn everything inside out you thought you knew about preparing to race.
  • Former Member
    waves101: thanks! this makes me feel much better. i was having a few doubts about returning to swimming. but what you said made me feel better! :) Gary P: wow! Nationals? that's awesome! my goal is to try to swim about 45-60min a workout.
  • Former Member
    I think as soon as a swimmer's blood mutates into chlorine, age and most "old age" health issues arise, we convince ourseves: "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak" There three keys I have found to returning to the pool - 36 years after college, and being diagnosed with a terminal disease: 1. You know you miss that chlorine scent. 2. When you began, you stunk then also 3. You can over come anything with a positive mental attitude. The key is believing in YOURSELF and YOUR PERSISTENCE! Dive in and join me in breaking records- even if 1 day we swim more lap than yesterday! No gold was ever won without persistent perseverance!
  • Elizabeth: Hope you are training now....I started swimming again 4 years ago after many years of inactivity (since my college days). I'm 59 now. It was a slow progression - at first I only would swim during the Spring and Summer months - one to two times a week. It would take me 90 minutes to complete 1,000 yards - my endurance was only good enough to do *** stroke. I kept at it and this year is the first time I'm attempting to swim all year round - by May it will be one year. Now I routinely swim 3 times a week for workouts of 1,500 to 2,000 yards in one hour. Never thought I could do it....so, my attitude changed to JUST DO IT! There are hundreds of workouts to chose from posted on usms.org or the internet - so, I pick a different one each week and challenge myself to complete it in one hour or if it takes longer that's okay....feel the water, get into a rhythm, relax and swim. Regards, Nelson
  • Hello all, I am 45 now and have not been in the pool seriously for over a decade. I was a swimmer from 7 years old to 22. I have just returned to the sport and am doing laps alone and hope to find a workout time with a masters team so I have some support. Do you have any suggestions for me as I start up as a serious swimmer again?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    Hello all, I am 45 now and have not been in the pool seriously for over a decade. I was a swimmer from 7 years old to 22. I have just returned to the sport and am doing laps alone and hope to find a workout time with a masters team so I have some support. Do you have any suggestions for me as I start up as a serious swimmer again? Well done for getting back into the pool at 45! Fair play!