Workouts from a Former National Champion

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all, I just recently joined the site... it finally hit me that maybe I should get involved in the web with the sport I swam in for 16 years. I'm Matt and I was a swimmer at Kenyon College from 2005-2009. I am excited to explore the site and get workout ideas, I have a specific kind of workout that I do every day but fresh ideas are what keep the sport interesting. I was a 15 time National Champion at Kenyon, on 11 relays and won the 100 and 200 fly two years running. I'm trying to get back in shape now as I think I'm 40-50 pounds over my college weight. I bulked up a little but it was all muscle training, not nearly enough cardio, and I can't run to save my life, so getting back in the pool was the only way. Our masters team has their first meet next Sunday so I'm hoping to get a good base under me before that comes around. The workouts I'm posting here so far are ones I'm doing, and the intervals are fast for some, so if you want to attempt them you should definitely change it up. I am also the masters coach here of about 20 swimmers and we do workouts Monday-Friday. I will start posting that on my site as well so that you can see a bit of what we do. My biggest thing is to find ways to make it engaging and for it to go feel as though it goes by quickly. I don't always end up accomplishing that but I definitely try my hardest to do so. Without further intro, here's the website. I hope you enjoy it: swimtobeborn.weebly.com/
  • Some cool ideas on your site. Just my two cents, but you might get more engagement with folks on this site if you build a blog here on the forums -- forums.usms.org/blog.php -- and you'll also, hopefully, get a lot of good workout ideas from other blogs.
  • Just my two cents, but you might get more engagement with folks on this site if you build a blog here on the forums -- forums.usms.org/blog.php Seconded. Might seem like a duplication of effort to post the same thing twice, but lots of people are in the habit of checking the blogs here and would be less likely to visit a different site. And even if you decide not to post here I recommend checking out the blogs and the workout forums. You'll find a wide variety of workouts and if you get in a rut trying to make your own workouts you'll find plenty of ideas here!