Betsy's 1 Hr Workouts

Introduction. I coach 3 mornings a week at a 25 meter pool with an average of 25 swimmers in 5 lanes. I coach 2 evenings a week at a 25 yard pool with an average of 12-14 swimmers in 5 lanes. Both workouts are for one hour. They are mixed groups with competitive swimmers, triathletes, and people who just want a good workout. Ages range from 20 to 87, with an occassional teen-ager dropping in. My emphasis is on techinique and pace. I swim 3 days a week with a coach at a Y pool. I use some sets that I learn from my coach, Laura Peter. I also write a workout for myself for Saturday mornings. The workouts that I coach are 2500-2800 meters for the fastest lane, scaled down for other lanes. In the yard pool, they are 2700-3000 yards for the fastest lanes. For my personal workouts, I aim for 2500 yards and try to boost it to 2700 in the fall.
Parents
  • Sunday, January 17, Meter Pool My workout group did the Hour Swim on Saturday. Our pool let us use 3 lanes for 3+ hours; we can do 3 heats of 6 each (2 per lane). Eighteen had signed up, but two were sick. Everyone brings a counter or stays to count another heat. We always have several who just come to help. I am recovering from a cold and didn't swim. I have had some good practices this week and hope to do the Hour at the end of the month. This is a workout that I did alone. Warm-Up (500) 50 swim then 3 x (50 kick/50 drill/50 swim) Main (1600) 400 Swim, trying to hold a steady pace 400 Pull, faster than the 400 swim 4 x 100 swim on interval with 10-15 sec rest 4 x 100 pull on interval 5 sec faster than swims (I used paddles) Cool-Down (400) 400 Swim. I intended to go all free, but was getting leg cramps so mixed it up.
  • Sunday, January 17, Meter Pool My workout group did the Hour Swim on Saturday. Our pool let us use 3 lanes for 3+ hours; we can do 3 heats of 6 each (2 per lane). Eighteen had signed up, but two were sick. Everyone brings a counter or stays to count another heat. We always have several who just come to help. I am recovering from a cold and didn't swim. I have had some good practices this week and hope to do the Hour at the end of the month. This is a workout that I did alone. Warm-Up (500) 50 swim then 3 x (50 kick/50 drill/50 swim) Main (1600) 400 Swim, trying to hold a steady pace 400 Pull, faster than the 400 swim 4 x 100 swim on interval with 10-15 sec rest 4 x 100 pull on interval 5 sec faster than swims (I used paddles) Cool-Down (400) 400 Swim. I intended to go all free, but was getting leg cramps so mixed it up.
Children
No Data