Betsy's 1 Hr Workouts

Introduction. I coach 3 mornings a week at a 25 meter pool with an average of 25 swimmers in 5 lanes. I coach 2 evenings a week at a 25 yard pool with an average of 12-14 swimmers in 5 lanes. Both workouts are for one hour. They are mixed groups with competitive swimmers, triathletes, and people who just want a good workout. Ages range from 20 to 87, with an occassional teen-ager dropping in. My emphasis is on techinique and pace. I swim 3 days a week with a coach at a Y pool. I use some sets that I learn from my coach, Laura Peter. I also write a workout for myself for Saturday mornings. The workouts that I coach are 2500-2800 meters for the fastest lane, scaled down for other lanes. In the yard pool, they are 2700-3000 yards for the fastest lanes. For my personal workouts, I aim for 2500 yards and try to boost it to 2700 in the fall.
Parents
  • Friday, Jan 15, Meter Pool This was a completely new concept for my coaching. I had the swimmers swim 125 and meet me at the other end (deep water). One of the swimmers in this workout teaches deep water aerobics. She did 20 minutes with the group in place of warm-up. They did not use the belts for flotation so had to tread water the whole time. They had a choice to use the belts, but they chose not to. I think it was well received as something new. All agreed that it was not easy. After the warm-up, they swam 75 to meet me back at the shallow end. 50-100-150-200 swim, keeping a steady pace. Interval was based on time per 25: 25, 30, 40, 45, 50. Repeat above pull, same intervals. We are doing the Hour Swim tomorrow. I asked each swimmer what pace/100 they would like to keep for 2 miles. Most gave me a time way slower than I would have said. Trying to hold that pace, they did: 4 x 100 on long interval 20-30 seconds rest. i think it makes it harder to pace when there is rest. As expected, most were consistent, but faster than predicted. They adjusted their predictiions and did another set of 4 x 100. In addition to the aerobics, swimmers got in 2000 (fast lane) to 1400 (slowest lane).
  • Friday, Jan 15, Meter Pool This was a completely new concept for my coaching. I had the swimmers swim 125 and meet me at the other end (deep water). One of the swimmers in this workout teaches deep water aerobics. She did 20 minutes with the group in place of warm-up. They did not use the belts for flotation so had to tread water the whole time. They had a choice to use the belts, but they chose not to. I think it was well received as something new. All agreed that it was not easy. After the warm-up, they swam 75 to meet me back at the shallow end. 50-100-150-200 swim, keeping a steady pace. Interval was based on time per 25: 25, 30, 40, 45, 50. Repeat above pull, same intervals. We are doing the Hour Swim tomorrow. I asked each swimmer what pace/100 they would like to keep for 2 miles. Most gave me a time way slower than I would have said. Trying to hold that pace, they did: 4 x 100 on long interval 20-30 seconds rest. i think it makes it harder to pace when there is rest. As expected, most were consistent, but faster than predicted. They adjusted their predictiions and did another set of 4 x 100. In addition to the aerobics, swimmers got in 2000 (fast lane) to 1400 (slowest lane).
Children
No Data