Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Here are a couple short underwater turns/video. www.floswimming.org/.../154360-picture-021 My free turn: www.floswimming.org/.../154361-picture-022 Monday night - SCM 8x100 free/IM swim continuous 8x25 IM fast on :40 200 free easy on 4:00 8x25 with fins fast on :40 12x(25 dive fast on :45, 50 fast turn on 1:30, 25 build on :45) Averaged 11.3 on dives 100 easy 2x200 kick with fins/drill Tues. AM 8 minutes on bike, toes pointed with clips on the tips of the shoes. This next mini-routine, one of each, alternating through 3x 3X {20 seconds ankle stretch 3X {20 push-ups 3X {20 reverse freestyle with 10 lb weight each arm 3x repeat list though cycle 3X {12 x rope crunch with 80 pounds 3X {12 x rope crunch left " 3X {12 x rope crunch right " 3X {12 x roll bar 3X {40 x straight arm pull 30lbs 3X {25 x seated row 40 reps vertical row, each arm, 20 lbs 40 reps alternating bicep curl, each arm for total of 80, 20lbs 40 reps incline bench 20 lbs 50 reps lat pull, 75 lbs 60 reps tricep pull, 30 lbs 30 minute jog at a moderate pace Stretch routine see link - Post 109 forums.usms.org/showthread.php
  • Former Member
    Thanks! - that helps much and is appreciated.
  • Former Member
    JMiller, I'm new to the site and was looking at your first post on this thread. Could you explain a little more on a couple of the exercises/pictures? Sure thing, thanks for asking, and welcome to USMS! On the stationary bike, are you keeping your toes pointed at all times or just at the bottom? I'll have to try it, but it looks awkard. The picture doesn't really give a good example of what the motion should be like. Ideally, this action will mimic the dolphin motion fairly closely, while stretching and increasing the range of motion in the ankles. Here is a short video of what the motion should be like on the bike. Keep in mind, this is just a drill to be done before the ankle stretch routine, and if you are a triathlete, by all means, bike normally during regular training. doing this drill for 8 minutes 3x week will be sufficient to gain the desired adaptation for improving your swimming. www.floswimming.org/.../154628-picture-027 On the last picture, am I corrrect that the full exercise would be to start on your knees with toes/feet off the ground; then roll forward to prone position (as in picture) and back to starting position? Here are the other exercises on video, but keep in mind these are advanced positions gained from years of training. I would suggest easing into them over time. Also, on the roll bar, be careful not to over-exert yourself until you have developed sufficient strength and range of motion. After many months, possibly consider going to full extension, or just aim to do the best that you can, and be happy with that. www.floswimming.org/.../154629-picture-028 Sorry if this seems obvious, but I wanted a little clarification. Thanks No problem, it is my pleasure to be of assistance. Any other questions? Happy swimming!
  • Former Member
    dear j miller, what was the workout that improves your speed. the one with 8x25 on three minutes. thanks
  • Former Member
    It really depends what your goals are... What events do you want to focus on? The 8x25 is great for maximum speed gains over a short time span, but might be useful just once a week for speed maintenance over the long-term. It has been awhile since I personally have done the 8x25 set, because my goals changed this season... You can read a ton of great work-outs posted previously through-out this thread. Thanks for asking, and be open to sharing your progress. dear j miller, what was the workout that improves your speed. the one with 8x25 on three minutes. thanks Here is a recent swim... SCM 3 x 200 IM 1ST 100 drill/100 swim 2nd 100 kick/100 swim 3rd 200 swim Set 1 3 x 8 x25 IM on 40 sec 1 x 200 on 3:30 min Set 2. 4 X Broken 100 ALL FAST - 25m on 40s 50m on 1:30min 25m on 40s IM order x 4 start with butterfly/backstroke/breaststroke/free Set 3 Broken 200 2 x 4x50 on 1:30 backstroke (averaged 31's from push on all 8) 300 on 5 min easy choice
  • Former Member
    Since this is the work-out section, I've decided to add some useful training ideas to help improve various aspects of your swimming experience. The freestyle turn - An effective turn means you've managed to transfer the momentum from the previous length in and off the wall. The streamline is critical, try to stay under the wave before breaking the surface. Tight at the core, line up your head and torso at 45 degrees to the wall as you approach the turn, this will help with the transfer of weight and hopefully your legs will spin faster. As soon as you've reached the "tipping point" try to have your hands above your head before your legs land and "spring" off the wall. Training tools like vertical jumps are useful, train yourself to land and spring in one single fluid motion.
  • Former Member
    So there was a swim meet today, and one of my team mates wanted an analysis of his 50 free. This 2 min video has three heats, and Aaron is in the last one. He starts at about 1:40 on the video. www.floswimming.org/.../159932-picture-030 From what I could see, the start looked great, turnover was smooth with good transition. The only thing I would suggest is training the turns more, and perhaps having your forearms pulling tighter to the body, enabling your torso to go over top of the wave. Otherwise a final time of 26.01 is quite respectable, and that 1/100th will be all the motivation you need to get more out of the next 6 weeks of training. Good luck at provincials, and congrats on going 4 lifetime best times today. Try not to celebrate in excess. Good work!
  • Former Member
    This article was first posted about 9 months ago, but I wanted to share it again for anyone who might have missed it. The video is quite helpful, combined with a good analysis of the back to *** turn. A good way to think about the back to *** turn is, when you do the hand touch on the backstroke, imagine you are finishing a race. You know how that last stroke you lunge back towards the touchpad? Do the same thing, and actually lean back and touch the wall, just like you would on the finish of a race. You can even make a quick visual cue right where your hand touches, that throws your head (and weight) off the center of balance. (Sievinen does this!) YouTube - IM - Sievinen back-*** turn This sets your body up for the next phase, all that backward motion needs to continue somehow... The next part is to have the over-the-top spin, but instead of flipping straight back, try and pick a side (depending on which hand you touch with) and flip slighty sideways, not straight back. This will become easier, and sets you up for the breastroke pull-out. The way I think about it is, as you throw your head back and watch your hand tocuh the wall, you are pivoting your hips, and using your hand and arm to "spin" your legs to either the right or left... Although, your legs do come up and slightly over, it feels more like spinning. Just imagine your knees coming to the surface and the feet leaning left or right on axis, as your body tucks underneath. Practice it first without the wall, just to get the feel of the water moving past your body while flipping and spinning backwards... Do this many times, until that feels natural, and then just add the wall. Persistence is the key, but you should have that "ah-ha" moment eventually. After that, it's just a matter of tweaking the motion.
  • Former Member
    So, it is with disappointment that I report having the flu the past couple weeks, and although I have still been training, just seem to have way less energy to do what used to be easy. I was on the mend for about 4-5 days, but still very tired, and was starting to have doubts about whether I could actually pull off the mini-marathon at the end of this month. So last night, with 13 days until the meet I needed to do something to "wake-up". This work-out helped, and now I'm feeling properly prepared with the months of prior training. Long Course Meters Warm up 4 x 200 IM on 4 min 100 IM kick on 2 min Set 1 2X 8 x 50 on 1:10 with pads average :35 5 x 100 on 2:00 swim Best Average 1st set 1:03, 1:04, 1:04, 1:03, 1:04 2nd set 1:05, 1:03, 1:04, 1:04, 1:02 Set 2. 300 m all stroke 2x200 dolphin on back with fins 200 easy Since this work-out was LCM, I'm quite pleased with the result, and was surprised to feel some decent power in my legs, I have rested them from running for 1 week, and the past 4 months has really improved my over-all endurance, and I've dropped 23 lbs.
  • Former Member
    Hope you feel better, I did not realize you had the flue. I just thought you flue (flown) the coop and went on vacation.