Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
  • Jonathan, I'm sorry you had a frustrating meet. Never fun, but happens to most of us. (Happened to me last August when I was a real Calamity Jane.) I don't like the FS II. It has compression, but gets heavy when wet. It's absolutely accurate that the suits are better dry than wet. (Although this does not seem to apply to the B70.) When the FS IIs get a bit worn out they are positively sodden. Tech suits don't help as much in 50s. The lightweight ones like Pros or the alleged "floaters" like the B70 help more in longer races. My fastest 50 frees were done in a FS I. I would not expect to take .5-.6 off from a "jammer" 50 free juts by wearing an FSII. I think Ande just took off .3 in his 50 free with B70 and a full taper? (Have to check.) So I wouldn't expect an FS II to work miracles! But, if you're into the "feel" of the water, you'll "feel" even less in a B70. Myself, I don't mind that. I like the speed. I actually have a good comparison coming up. Last year, I swam 28.7 in the 50 SCM free with an old FS I. I'm swimming that event in a couple weeks with a B70. Frankly, I'd be perfectly happy to swim the same time as last year. (I went slower earlier this year with a Pro.) So we'll see ...
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 15 years ago
    Just to clarify my position -- and there are really two: -- I personally don't like the feel of the suits, for pretty much the reasons you mentioned, but if they are really a lot faster, part of the training process is getting used to using them. If they are faster, then I will wear them but will regret the need to do so. I hear you, and now I see why. -- I am unsure how much faster the suits are (or if they are at all) under race conditions for someone who is rested and shaved. I think there are a lot of superstitions out there about swimming and don't like to see one perpetuated based on anecdotal evidence, particularly given the expense of the suits. Right, I didn't "feel" the water as much, I suppose it really depends on each person and what they need for top speed. Bad luck on the false start and the slipping...sure it wasn't funny at the time but it must have been quite a sight! I've finally laughed it off, but I was pretty annoyed at the time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay with the regular start (both feet forward), even if I practice the track start 1000 times there's no guarantee, I might slip the same way at an important meet, and that would throw me off for the next few events, that's not worth it. It would be better to just improve what I'm comfortable with. It is true about the 100m SCM WR - according to Ande, Cameron Van Der Burgh was wearing one when he went 56:88 at the Fina/Arena Swimming World Cup in Moscow on November 9. He also broke the record for the 50m SCM breastroke in Stockholm on Novemver 11. He went 25:94. Right on, maybe I'll look into that suit, and hope for a better breaststroke, (we have all-time pentathlon charts for each age group) sprint = 4x50 + 100 IM, mid-distance = 4x100 + 200 IM, or distance = 4x200 + 400 IM You add the best of each distance with-in the five year age category, actually kind of fun, and a good way to stay motivated. Jonathan, I'm sorry you had a frustrating meet. Never fun, but happens to most of us. No worries, for the past few years I've been training hard and peaking just for the last meets of the season. I forgot what an in-season meet was supposed to be like. From a physics standpoint, this doesn't make sense to me; maybe I'm missing something. I don't understand it either. My first meet ever this weekend in a B70 and I didn't notice it feeling heavy after being wet. Thanks for the feedback, I'm certainly going to keep this in mind for the future. I don't notice the B70 being heavy at all either. Good to know.... I wonder if the B70 rep is reading this... As a liberal arts major, I can't really speak to the physics of the suit. Liberal arts major? Is there any other kind? Can't say I am that enamoured by the idea of wearing a tech suit, either. Still don't own one myself but have promised myself that when I drop below a certain time I will try one out. Well, apparently the suits are designed to help us do that, but who knows really? I've decided to change my goals a little so that I'm more satisfied with future swim meets, especially in-season. Mid-distance events with little expectations, combined with really training hard should do the trick.
  • Former Member
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm laughing about it now... Tonight's swim SCM 200 IM drill 150 backstroke 100 kick 50 scull 16x50 dolphin kick on back on 1:10 2x strong were 1:09, 1:11 400 paddles DPS (extended) I'm still planning on buying a few more tech suits, various brands, just for fun.
  • Former Member
    I hear you, and now I see why. Right, I didn't "feel" the water as much, I suppose it really depends on each person and what they need for top speed. I've finally laughed it off, but I was pretty annoyed at the time. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay with the regular start (both feet forward), even if I practice the track start 1000 times there's no guarantee, I might slip the same way at an important meet, and that would throw me off for the next few events, that's not worth it. It would be better to just improve what I'm comfortable with. Right on, maybe I'll look into that suit, and hope for a better breaststroke, (we have all-time pentathlon charts for each age group) sprint = 4x50 + 100 IM, mid-distance = 4x100 + 200 IM, or distance = 4x200 + 400 IM You add the best of each distance with-in the five year age category, actually kind of fun, and a good way to stay motivated. No worries, for the past few years I've been training hard and peaking just for the last meets of the season. I forgot what an in-season meet was supposed to be like. I don't understand it either. Thanks for the feedback, I'm certainly going to keep this in mind for the future. Good to know.... I wonder if the B70 rep is reading this... Deano Liberal arts major? Is there any other kind? Well, apparently the suits are designed to help us do that, but who knows really? I've decided to change my goals a little so that I'm more satisfied with future swim meets, especially in-season. Mid-distance events with little expectations, combined with really training hard should do the trick. Hey Guys, Dean jackson from blueseventy here. ANything I can help you with re the suits etc? ping me or mail me dean@blueseventy.com Cheers all.
  • Former Member
    Okay, I'll buy a suit from you Deano, you've earned my business. What size do you think I should wear? Hey Guys, Dean jackson from blueseventy here. ANything I can help you with re the suits etc? ping me or mail me dean@blueseventy.com Cheers all.
  • Former Member
    So I've started back into my full cross-training program... Needless to say I'm very sore, as I've only been doing the max reps the past few months. That made tonight's work-out even more challenging! SCM DROP DOWN SET! (4 x50) X Multiple REPEAT until can't make the times on 4x 1:20 4x 1:15 4x 1:10 4x 1:05 4x 1:00 4x :57.5 4x :55 4x :52.5 4x :50 4x :47.5 4x :45 4x :42.5 4x :40 4x :37.5 4x :35 4x :32.5 4x :30 I made it to the :35's and then we took 1 minute rest, and 150 STRONG! So, after 60x50's with the last 20 being fairly intense, I managed to push 1:28.87 for the 150. That was hard, but now I'm feeling better about the previous swim meet.
  • Former Member
    I got this work-out from Fort's blog: just adjusted it slightly SCM 400 easy warm-up 10x25 on :50 odds fly AFAP, evens easy 10x25 on :50 odds back AFAP, evens easy 10x25 on :50 odds free AFAP, evens easy 400 easy In and out of the water in roughly 45 minutes, with a grand total of 1550 meters, although a total of 750m at faster-than-race-pace is more challenging than one might think.
  • Former Member
    Well, it's sunday night, and Calgary won the CFL, and I'm at my brothers place, with my family. This first picture needs some explaining... My dad has held my niece 2 times, and both times she cried, the third time couldn't have been a coincidence, hence the humour... 1258 All of my brothers 5 kids, the youngest are twins... Check out Aaron's green shirt! 1259 Finally, my dad held Dorothy without her crying... Notice the "logo" on his shirt! 1260 My Mother and Sister with Dillan... 1261
  • Former Member
    Lovely pics Jonathan!:)
  • Former Member
    Thanks! I don't see my parents very often, they live 7 hours away... Lovely pics Jonathan!:) Monday swim SCM 300 free 200 DPS 100 kick 2x(3x200 + 2x50) on 3:45 for 200's, and 1:30 for 50's first set descend 200's 1-3, went 2:00.87 on last one from push, good effort 50's easy second 200's build to strong last 50, went 28.3, 28.7, 28.1 200 easy 200 dolphin on back with fins 400 "extended" DPS with paddles