Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
Parents
  • You've been doing this fly? Yikes, you're truly hard-core, I feel like an age-grouper all over again, talking about the sets we would do in practice. As you know, the program I prefer now is higher intensity at shorter distances. The stuff you're doing, broken miles, 10x100 best average, these sets will make you fit, but if you really wanted to blast a 200 back, why not train more sprint endurance? Anything longer, and your "power stroke" drops down into a lower gear, and that's all you can hold at the 200 distance. You may dislike the 50's/100's, but you're gifted at those distances. 57.0 100 back scm, compared to 2:06.11 for the 200. Don't get me wrong, 2:06 is amazing, but with that kind of speed on the front end you could be down to 2:02... Although, that's unlikely if you're training for the mile. We do PLENTY of sprint endurance (a little less speed work, I'll admit), it just isn't the ONLY thing we do. I am not in any way training for the mile, that's for sure. I held 1:01s, so the 100s were on a "duty cycle" of 50%, meaning I got as much rest as we swum. That's pretty much rest, though I agree it isn't a sprint or sprint endurance set by any stretch. I believe the set is a good gauge of being able to bring back a 200. Like I said, we do a lot of fast swimming in practice, believe me. I also work on power through lifting and using the parachute. As far as which distance is my best in back, it depends somewhat on the course. Remember that I'm 44, so you probably need to compare me to my contemporaries. When I swim with the age groupers, 100 back and 100 fly are definitely my better events than the corresponding 200s; compared to others my age, it is less clear. According to our rating calculator, last SCY season my 200 back was the best event of the three by a significant margin (ratings of 99.0 for the 50, 100.8 for the 100 and 101.8 for the 200). Of the SCM times you mentioned, the ratings for the 50/100/200 were about dead even: 100.7/101.2/100.9. It is only for LCM that the 50 beats the 200 (101.1, 101.2, 100.5, respectively, last summer). Basically, I like doing fly; as an age-grouper 200 fly was my favorite event. Yesterday I was in a groove and it felt great, it was my best average on that set by a second. My endurance fly (absolutely necessary for the 200) has really been lacking for the past 10-15 years and I am trying -- unsuccessfully so far -- to get it back. I also happen to believe that fly training benefits ALL the strokes (as long as it doesn't hurt the shoulders), not just butterfly. Oh, and to keep VB happy :), here was today's workout. Warmup of 1000, various strokes/kicks/drills Freestyle set: long/aerobic, hold same pace throughout 4 x 150 on 2:00 3 x 150 on 1:55 2 x 150 on 1:50 1 x 150 on 1:45 Kick set, 6 sets of 100 VERY FAST on 1:30 50 recovery on 1:30 2 x broken 200s: 50s on 0:50, 0:45, 0:40, hold at least 200 race pace, maintain same pace throughout. Couple minutes recovery between 200s. 100 off the blocks for time
  • You've been doing this fly? Yikes, you're truly hard-core, I feel like an age-grouper all over again, talking about the sets we would do in practice. As you know, the program I prefer now is higher intensity at shorter distances. The stuff you're doing, broken miles, 10x100 best average, these sets will make you fit, but if you really wanted to blast a 200 back, why not train more sprint endurance? Anything longer, and your "power stroke" drops down into a lower gear, and that's all you can hold at the 200 distance. You may dislike the 50's/100's, but you're gifted at those distances. 57.0 100 back scm, compared to 2:06.11 for the 200. Don't get me wrong, 2:06 is amazing, but with that kind of speed on the front end you could be down to 2:02... Although, that's unlikely if you're training for the mile. We do PLENTY of sprint endurance (a little less speed work, I'll admit), it just isn't the ONLY thing we do. I am not in any way training for the mile, that's for sure. I held 1:01s, so the 100s were on a "duty cycle" of 50%, meaning I got as much rest as we swum. That's pretty much rest, though I agree it isn't a sprint or sprint endurance set by any stretch. I believe the set is a good gauge of being able to bring back a 200. Like I said, we do a lot of fast swimming in practice, believe me. I also work on power through lifting and using the parachute. As far as which distance is my best in back, it depends somewhat on the course. Remember that I'm 44, so you probably need to compare me to my contemporaries. When I swim with the age groupers, 100 back and 100 fly are definitely my better events than the corresponding 200s; compared to others my age, it is less clear. According to our rating calculator, last SCY season my 200 back was the best event of the three by a significant margin (ratings of 99.0 for the 50, 100.8 for the 100 and 101.8 for the 200). Of the SCM times you mentioned, the ratings for the 50/100/200 were about dead even: 100.7/101.2/100.9. It is only for LCM that the 50 beats the 200 (101.1, 101.2, 100.5, respectively, last summer). Basically, I like doing fly; as an age-grouper 200 fly was my favorite event. Yesterday I was in a groove and it felt great, it was my best average on that set by a second. My endurance fly (absolutely necessary for the 200) has really been lacking for the past 10-15 years and I am trying -- unsuccessfully so far -- to get it back. I also happen to believe that fly training benefits ALL the strokes (as long as it doesn't hurt the shoulders), not just butterfly. Oh, and to keep VB happy :), here was today's workout. Warmup of 1000, various strokes/kicks/drills Freestyle set: long/aerobic, hold same pace throughout 4 x 150 on 2:00 3 x 150 on 1:55 2 x 150 on 1:50 1 x 150 on 1:45 Kick set, 6 sets of 100 VERY FAST on 1:30 50 recovery on 1:30 2 x broken 200s: 50s on 0:50, 0:45, 0:40, hold at least 200 race pace, maintain same pace throughout. Couple minutes recovery between 200s. 100 off the blocks for time
Children
No Data