Fun, and Fast

Former Member
Former Member
The cross-training routine that was previously posted on this thread had a variety of advice. Although quite a few people have mentioned to me that they prefer to swim, and don't really want to lift weights. That's understandable, but attempting to compromise I suggest these 4 critical exercises, 3xweek. This could take as little as 15 minutes, but will have significant impact on your swimming base times. Here's why: Ankle flexibility is crucial, as this is the anchor on your ship. Even if you don't improve power or strength, having your ankles flexible will reduce the drag and improve body position. So, I recommend a minimum of 6 minutes (3x per week), on the bike with your toes pointed. This is primarily to warm up the ankles as well as training the range of motion. 1199 Don't be discouraged if you can't do this next stretch right away. When I started 8 years ago I couldn't get my knees off the ground, and my SDK was ineffective. Just have patience, and after several months you should notice a gradual improvement. Not everyone is gifted with natural mobility in the ankles, but the good news is this can be earned. Try and hold the stretch for 3x20 seconds. 1200 Moving up the body line, core stability is critical for maintaining the right trajectory while swimming. Be sure to bring the elbow all the way around the knee, and tighten the core as you go through the motion. Pick a weight that enables you to do 3x12 reps on both sides. 1201 This last exercise is great for your core, but I've noticed it is also really good for the upper body, especially the catch phase of the stroke, as well as engaging the lats on the horizontal axis. Again, 3x12 reps, and these four exercises can be made into a short mini-routine that most aspiring swimmers should at least consider. 1202 Happy swimming, 1203 So I finally have my video on FLOSWIMMING here it is 100 free SCM - 51.60 which converts to 46.02 SCY swimming.flocasts.org/.../65295
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    This summer has been an eye opening experience as the nearest pool is over an hour away. The public beach looks common enough with all the regular rocks and plenty of shells, not to mention the shiny amethyst littering the shore. How far will I swim today? Hard to say, considering the buoy's are about here to there, perhaps seventy-five yards or so, depending on my stride this day. Walking that is, as the sun-baked sand wiggles through my toes, with a slight breeze flowing through my hair, yes, I decide on 75 strides. With mirrored goggles firmly in place, and as a proud owner of the newest fins available, I waddle to the water. The cool cresting waves crash over my ankles as I submerge deeper into the clear blue abyss. "It's now or never", I think as I slink into the crystal drink. My dry hair slips into the new environment, waving like the seaweed below. Using my fins I dolphin through a school of rainbow trout as they allow me to join the lesson of the day. As I flow through some slippery seaweed, I pause momentarily, looking back at the beautiful rainbow reflecting off the sides of the fish. The sun streams through the bluish-green water in glorious beams, as my hair waves with the weeds, and a euphoric feeling overcomes me. In the background I hear a high-pitched buzzing as a boat skims over the water, completely oblivious to my underwater bliss. Running short on breath I notice a sunken dock, and in my mind I can momentarily see the glory days of the past, floating high and dry. Pushing off the slippery sunken dock I dolphin to my destination, and take a deep breath upon breaking the surface. The time for training begins, and I start like so many times before. The waves rule the surface as I attempt to negotiate through them, the water is alive and does not want to be calmly contained. We begin to have an understanding as I rock and roll through the unpredictable bouncing. Staying true to form but being open to flow at any given moment, that seems to be the trick to open water swimming.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 16 years ago
    This summer has been an eye opening experience as the nearest pool is over an hour away. The public beach looks common enough with all the regular rocks and plenty of shells, not to mention the shiny amethyst littering the shore. How far will I swim today? Hard to say, considering the buoy's are about here to there, perhaps seventy-five yards or so, depending on my stride this day. Walking that is, as the sun-baked sand wiggles through my toes, with a slight breeze flowing through my hair, yes, I decide on 75 strides. With mirrored goggles firmly in place, and as a proud owner of the newest fins available, I waddle to the water. The cool cresting waves crash over my ankles as I submerge deeper into the clear blue abyss. "It's now or never", I think as I slink into the crystal drink. My dry hair slips into the new environment, waving like the seaweed below. Using my fins I dolphin through a school of rainbow trout as they allow me to join the lesson of the day. As I flow through some slippery seaweed, I pause momentarily, looking back at the beautiful rainbow reflecting off the sides of the fish. The sun streams through the bluish-green water in glorious beams, as my hair waves with the weeds, and a euphoric feeling overcomes me. In the background I hear a high-pitched buzzing as a boat skims over the water, completely oblivious to my underwater bliss. Running short on breath I notice a sunken dock, and in my mind I can momentarily see the glory days of the past, floating high and dry. Pushing off the slippery sunken dock I dolphin to my destination, and take a deep breath upon breaking the surface. The time for training begins, and I start like so many times before. The waves rule the surface as I attempt to negotiate through them, the water is alive and does not want to be calmly contained. We begin to have an understanding as I rock and roll through the unpredictable bouncing. Staying true to form but being open to flow at any given moment, that seems to be the trick to open water swimming.
Children
No Data