Best / favourite books on swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
As I was perusing the reviews for 100 Best Swimming Drills I thought to myself "Self, what do the USMS forumites have to say about their favourite swimming books?" I enjoy Taormina's Swim Speed Secrets (but I hate the title). The Science Of Swimming Faster (Riewald) is epic for geeks like me. Swimming Studies (Shapton) is a wonderful compendium of swimming memories and experiences. Thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I don't know about that, but I do love to train and race fly. I'm just very slow at it! My breaststroke is much faster than my fly, and fly is by far my slowest stroke. Have you considered having somebody shoot some video of your freestyle and posting it on the forums? Several Forumites are good at giving constructive feedback to help you with your stroke. Perhaps we can help figure out what's happening with your body position and kick to help you master the freestyle faster! Elaine, I've had a few coaches give me quick lessons and I took a few lessons last year before COVID. It seems most of the time, I'm given the usual drills to do, which I do well, but when I have to put it all together, I seem to be unable to rotate equally. I may be just overthinking it. I know I should focus on rotation one day, arm entry another, pull, etc. I'm my worst enemy. If I can gather a recent video, I will try and download it here. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I don't know about that, but I do love to train and race fly. I'm just very slow at it! My breaststroke is much faster than my fly, and fly is by far my slowest stroke. Have you considered having somebody shoot some video of your freestyle and posting it on the forums? Several Forumites are good at giving constructive feedback to help you with your stroke. Perhaps we can help figure out what's happening with your body position and kick to help you master the freestyle faster! Elaine, I've had a few coaches give me quick lessons and I took a few lessons last year before COVID. It seems most of the time, I'm given the usual drills to do, which I do well, but when I have to put it all together, I seem to be unable to rotate equally. I may be just overthinking it. I know I should focus on rotation one day, arm entry another, pull, etc. I'm my worst enemy. If I can gather a recent video, I will try and download it here. Thanks for the suggestion!
Children
No Data