Should USMS be called USMS?

Howdy, Just for kicks and grins, should USMS be United States Masters Swimming. After all, very few of us are "Masters." Synchro has "grand masters" for those adult members who were nationally ranked when they were younger. I like the idea of having a category that separates the elite from the rest of us lap swimmers. But, aside from that, what else could we call ourselves? a) United States Senior Swimming b) United States Adult Senior Swimming c) Adult Senior Swimming Any other ideas?? PW
Parents
  • Is the word Masters is intimidating, what about using the word Mature? United States Mature Swimming! We could keep the USMS acronym, and nobody is likely to confuse (in this context) the word Mature with "mastery" or "elitism." If anything, maturity suggests a certain level of barnacle encrustation that I suspect lots of my swimming comrades can identify with. I'm happy with the masters label which I think most people understand connotes older swimmers, ie not college or age group. That said I'd also be happy with a re-branding that works for our existing membership as well as is more inclusive so as not to deter or intimidate all the types of swimmer that we actually welcome into the organization. I would explore thinking along the lines of labels like "Lifetime Swimmers" or similar epithets that don't connote elitism, and are inclusive to all adult demographics. We already have an ageing membership demographic and I would like to think that we appeal as much to the 20 somethings as to our senior citizens. (I am, like Jim, barnacle encrusted, but I'm not ready to just be in the AARS just yet ;) )
  • Is the word Masters is intimidating, what about using the word Mature? United States Mature Swimming! We could keep the USMS acronym, and nobody is likely to confuse (in this context) the word Mature with "mastery" or "elitism." If anything, maturity suggests a certain level of barnacle encrustation that I suspect lots of my swimming comrades can identify with. I'm happy with the masters label which I think most people understand connotes older swimmers, ie not college or age group. That said I'd also be happy with a re-branding that works for our existing membership as well as is more inclusive so as not to deter or intimidate all the types of swimmer that we actually welcome into the organization. I would explore thinking along the lines of labels like "Lifetime Swimmers" or similar epithets that don't connote elitism, and are inclusive to all adult demographics. We already have an ageing membership demographic and I would like to think that we appeal as much to the 20 somethings as to our senior citizens. (I am, like Jim, barnacle encrusted, but I'm not ready to just be in the AARS just yet ;) )
Children
No Data