Should USMS be called USMS?

Howdy, Just for kicks and grins, should USMS be United States Masters Swimming. After all, very few of us are "Masters." Synchro has "grand masters" for those adult members who were nationally ranked when they were younger. I like the idea of having a category that separates the elite from the rest of us lap swimmers. But, aside from that, what else could we call ourselves? a) United States Senior Swimming b) United States Adult Senior Swimming c) Adult Senior Swimming Any other ideas?? PW
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Well said. If USMS was to merge with USA-S we would probably see: 1) membership fees go up to USA-S levels, 2) USMS.org website and this forum go away, 3) our LMSC's folded under LSC and disbanded, 4) the number of USMS clubs shrink due to USA-S club and coach requirements, 5) more opportunities for open meets but fewer Masters meets. I'm inclined to agree - it's sort of like this in hockey (though I don't think there's ever been a separate adult amateur governing body) - a vast majority of the effort and cashflow is invested in a very small subset of players (elite and generally male). On the other hand, for some of us, "Masters Swimming" does sound a bit intimidating, especially for those of us who've never swum on a team or with a group, or for folks who've never swum at all. Conversely, for the subset that's aged out of USA-S and collegiate swimming, it might seem to them like a bunch of old fogeys splashing around and thus not especially interesting to join. (Or maybe there's folks who, after years of competitive swimming, just feel burnt out and need a break!) But all of those are things that an certainly be mitigated with outreach - there's nothing at all wrong with the name- just make it clear that it's not *just* for the elite, the ex-elite, the silver-haired, the whatever-people-think-masters-means. And make it clear it exists at all - at least where I am, it's not like you go to a pool and there's a sign up saying something like "Do you like swimming? Do you like other people? Are you over 18? Then try Masters' swimming! "
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Well said. If USMS was to merge with USA-S we would probably see: 1) membership fees go up to USA-S levels, 2) USMS.org website and this forum go away, 3) our LMSC's folded under LSC and disbanded, 4) the number of USMS clubs shrink due to USA-S club and coach requirements, 5) more opportunities for open meets but fewer Masters meets. I'm inclined to agree - it's sort of like this in hockey (though I don't think there's ever been a separate adult amateur governing body) - a vast majority of the effort and cashflow is invested in a very small subset of players (elite and generally male). On the other hand, for some of us, "Masters Swimming" does sound a bit intimidating, especially for those of us who've never swum on a team or with a group, or for folks who've never swum at all. Conversely, for the subset that's aged out of USA-S and collegiate swimming, it might seem to them like a bunch of old fogeys splashing around and thus not especially interesting to join. (Or maybe there's folks who, after years of competitive swimming, just feel burnt out and need a break!) But all of those are things that an certainly be mitigated with outreach - there's nothing at all wrong with the name- just make it clear that it's not *just* for the elite, the ex-elite, the silver-haired, the whatever-people-think-masters-means. And make it clear it exists at all - at least where I am, it's not like you go to a pool and there's a sign up saying something like "Do you like swimming? Do you like other people? Are you over 18? Then try Masters' swimming! "
Children
No Data