What Are Your 2021 Swimming Goals?

Former Member
Former Member
Vaccines are coming. Next Fall/Winter (2021/2022) might be normal. There is a light at the end of this tunnel. So let's look forward, shall we? I once thought that I'd do sub 6min 400m by the end of 2019. **** happened. Then I thought I'd do sub 6min 400m by the end of 2020. Other **** happened. Now I think.....well.....see my sig. How about you? (Edit: Wow! Auto-correct of a naughty word for excrement!)
  • Maybe to do a meet, which has not happened because, like you, $#!+ has. But.......if I get to do a meet........ 6:00 500SCY NQT in the 100SCY Fly (1:04 at my age) I'm hitting splits in sets that indicate I can do the 500. A year ago, I was hitting splits in the 100Fly, but with my migration to open water, and not being to do pool workouts, my strokes have gone in the crapper. I'm occasionally getting some fly in that feels right, but I'm 5 seconds off in my 50. So I am not optimistic. The one thing I know I'll do....... Top Ten in the Bridges to Bluffs open water 10K. Hard to put a time on this, given that current can have a bit impact.
  • Assuming I can keep keep consistent pool time between now and when meets start... I really want to get back under 2:00 200 IM SCY, and I'd love to get a FINA Top Ten in SCM - looks like my best chances might be 50/100 back or 100 ***. We shall see how the year goes.
  • Right now I just want to get enough pool time to do full workouts and have a real meet.
  • Right now I just want to get enough pool time to do full workouts and have a real meet. :bighug: I hope a convenient pond (complete with lily pad) will open up for you soon!
  • I'd like to do a marathon in 2021.
  • Dear lord I hope some of you are a lot younger than me!
  • Dear lord I hope some of you are a lot younger than me! 32 a couple weeks ago... definitely on the young side of Masters. But this is what I've gotta deal with for the worldwide Top Ten! 50 M. BACK 24.68 SERGEY MAKOV RUS 25.09 NAOYA HIRANO JPN 25.17 TAKASHI TAKEMOTO JPN 25.48 JUNICHI MORITA JPN 25.54 PETER R KLINE USA 26.41 YUYA KATAOKA JPN 26.53 RYAN ANSCOMB GBR 26.53 JONAS ULFSKANS SWE 26.62 HARUTO KAWAI JPN 26.68 KOTA TESHIMA JPN My best 50y over the past couple years is 24.32 which converts to 26.9 SCM.
  • 32 a couple weeks ago... definitely on the young side of Masters. Whew! I'm a few weeks from 47. I only took up the sport a few years ago (I swam as a kid, but quit when I was 11), but think I'm doing okay......and then I see the times you two are putting out there, and I'm like "time to move on to a new sport!"
  • sub 4:50 500 sub 1:50 200 sub :50 100 Probably on track for these if I could ever get a meet to taper for!
  • Would love to hear how many times per week you swim and how many of these are longer 4-5k aerobic workouts... I see your blog but wondering just broad strokes how you are scheduling your workouts. So it depends upon the time of year. Just was finishing up another base building phase. I was doing about 30k a week for about 4 weeks there, swimming every day. Developed a smidgen of "swimmer's shoulder" in my left shoulder, so I have been doing A LOT of kicking the past two weeks, and probably will continue kicking for the foreseeable future (saw doc today, no issues, just needs some rest). But during my aerobic phase I was doing mostly longer aerobic stuff, a dash of speed here and there, and ALWAYS some sort of quality speed set on Saturdays. When I have mended, I will be transitioning to speed/pace work most days, and drop down to 3-4k per workout (down from 4.5-6k before). Also was following this schedule pretty regularly from September through mid-November: Monday: Long Aerobic (6k ish) Tuesday: I.M. or Recovery (4-5k) Wednesday: Speed work (3.5-5k) Thursday: I.M. or Recovery, whichever I need more and depending on what I did Tuesday (4-5k) Friday: wildcard, maybe buckets, maybe speed work, maybe just drilling (2.5-4.5k) Saturday: quality and speed diving off blocks (3-4k) Sunday: OFF or Long Easy Aerobic (0-4k)