no mask lifeguard

Former Member
Former Member
Everyone in the gym wears a mask (mandated in our state in the gym) however, one of the guards spent most of the hour I was swimming in the chair (in between breaks) with the mask off, unless she had to speak to the other guard. She's taken short mask breaks in the past, but this was ridiculous. All member have to wear the mask in the gym, while working out, on the deck, etc. and an employee of the fitness center doesn't. I'm surprised the other "main" guard has let this go, since he never removes his mask.
  • www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../ Hope that may give you some relief. I would guess that if the lifeguard is up in their chair, they are well beyond socially distanced. They may need to enter teh water quickly, as well, and maybe the mask would be one thing they would have to remove, and it may be an issue. I know that the kids' coaches don't wear masks during practice, as they are distanced from the swimmers, the swimmers are a bit protected by the chloriine, and in their case, they need to be able to yell loud enough to get the kids' attention while they are in the water.
  • Thanks Dan and 67King. Since she is the only one not wearing a mask, it was a concern. Everyone is very mindful of wearing the mask, even if we hate it. Trainers and coaches do not remove their masks. I've been swimming in several pools since July. Even outdoors, in 95 degree weather, all guards kept masks on. No one wants to risk an infection, and having to close the gym again. Try to imagine if you would have even noticed in February. The current blanket of fear draped over this country is not only unnecessary, it is more and more often medically dangerous for the wearers. The guard was not trying to infect anyone, he/she was only trying to do their job and masks can be very distracting. If they were more than 6 feet away from you or anyone else, is a mask even useful? Probably not. Fixating on this topic is not healthy for anyone.
  • it is more and more often medically dangerous for the wearers. Please stop trying to kill people by spreading deliberate lies.
  • I feel very safe in my swimming environment. Swimmers mask when they approach the lane. Guards mask as they approach their chairs. The masks are removed by all when appropriately socially distanced. No fear here. When the guard is on the chair, the guard is appropriately socially distanced. I have no problem with mask removal while they are up in the chair.
  • I guard part-time (in RI). There are always two guards on duty, with chairs on either side of the pool. Around each chair there are orange cones placed at 6-ft to keep patrons at a safe distance. When in the chair, we can remove our masks, but otherwise they must be worn on deck when patrons are in the pool area. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    I guard part-time (in RI). There are always two guards on duty, with chairs on either side of the pool. Around each chair there are orange cones placed at 6-ft to keep patrons at a safe distance. When in the chair, we can remove our masks, but otherwise they must be worn on deck when patrons are in the pool area. Dan Thanks Dan and 67King. Since she is the only one not wearing a mask, it was a concern. Everyone is very mindful of wearing the mask, even if we hate it. Trainers and coaches do not remove their masks. I've been swimming in several pools since July. Even outdoors, in 95 degree weather, all guards kept masks on. No one wants to risk an infection, and having to close the gym again.
  • Please stop trying to kill people by spreading deliberate lies. Prove it wrong and I will remove it. Cancel culture and the new religion of the covidian god have no effect on facts. Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Prove it wrong and I will remove it. Cancel culture and the new religion of the covidian god have no effect on facts. Happy Thanksgiving! www.youtube.com/watch
  • Do not feed :troll_with_sign:"s ... although i love the monty python bit, that works