Questions About Building Home Pool

Former Member
Former Member
Hi All, First time poster here, so please excuse any unfamiliarity with submission etiquette or duplication. I am looking into building a pool at my home that would include two 25-yard swim lanes. A few issues have arisen and I need some advice. First, I want to have an overflow gutter system, like I have seen at many competition pools, but cannot find anyone who will install that system in a residential pool. Does that sound right? Making matters worse, I cannot find anyone who will install anything other than a flat wall, i.e., no "inside the wall" gutter system. Assuming that the flat wall is my only option, please let me know if you think it will be sufficient for wave dampening purposes if I have lane lines between the lanes and next to the walls. I am concerned that the wave reflection off of the walls will result in buffeting that will make swimming for long periods of time difficult. Second, I am planning on 6-foot wide lanes and could lose a few inches to the lane lines. Do you think 5'6" wide lane lines is sufficient for 3 folks in a lane or should I make sure I have at least 6'? Third, the installer is recommending a salt sanitation system instead of old-fashion chlorine. Does anyone have any experience with salt systems? Salt water is typically more buoyant, which sounds good to me. Also, I am more sensitive than others to chlorine, so this alternative sounds attractive. But I am not familiar if there are any drawbacks. Thanks for any input into the above or any other suggestions about building a home pool.
  • Just sent you a private message as I did this back in 2010 in Arizona
  • I have an indoor 25 yard single lane 6 ft. Wide pool, with flat walls. The flat walls imitate open water swimming circumstances well. 6ft. wide lanes are too narrow for butterfly and backstroke. Regulation lane width is 7ft. wide, or 9ft. wide. I use salt water sanitation. Which works very well for indoor pools. Outdoor pools require chlorine stabilization, such as cyanuric acid in order to maintain proper chlorine levels. I hope this info is not too late for you to consider.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 3 years ago
    Thanks for the input, Lakemaster. Very helpful. The current design has 14 ft. for 2 lanes. I'll lose about 6 in. to lane lines. Do you think that 6'6" would make a difference for fly and backstroke?
  • Unsure if Sydne is on these forums, but she has a 2-lane 25 yard pool in her backyard. Pictures of it make me drool and dream of enough land to do the same.
  • Former Member
    Thanks, Mike. I've not heard from anyone named Synde. It would be great if you could forward my post to her. Bob
  • I have an indoor 25 yard single lane 6 ft. Wide pool, with flat walls. The flat walls imitate open water swimming circumstances well. 6ft. wide lanes are too narrow for butterfly and backstroke. Regulation lane width is 7ft. wide, or 9ft. wide.I went with 8' wide lanes when I built a 2 lane pool. It was perfect as my wingspan is like 6'6". I use salt water sanitation. Which works very well for indoor pools. Outdoor pools require chlorine stabilization, such as cyanuric acid in order to maintain proper chlorine levels. I hope this info is not too late for you to consider. I had a salt water system on my outdoor pool in Arizona and it worked beautifully. I guess it depends on the climate.
  • Possibly, as long as one stayed center line. This will depend on arm reach. I would still knuckle bash at 6â€Tm6”. Definitely have a lane line on the pool base.
  • Former Member
    Good to know. Because a, overflow gutter system is not an option, I may be able to expand to 7' lanes. I have lot coverage issues.
  • I had a salt water system on my outdoor pool in Arizona and it worked beautifully. I guess it depends on the climate. I've swum in several outside pools that were salt water. One that I remember specifically was in Sydney, Australia: https://www.abcpool.org/ Probably a few others in Australia, and I think elsewhere too. Actually I don't think I've ever swum in an indoor pool that was saltwater (instead of chlorine), but I much prefer swimming outside. :) My house has a huge yard, and I've thought of putting in a pool. Neighbors who have put in smaller play pools say the cost has been around $30-40k, which seems a bit absurd, at least compared with Arizona (our pool there was about $10k). But they need to do a hard dig to get out some major rock here, where I guess AZ had better soil for pool building. I'll definitely give you a shout if I do put one in. I'd want (and could easily put in) 2 lanes x 25m.
  • Some second-hand information here, but I feel like participating in this discussion. About 30 years ago my uncle built an in-ground pool at his Tampa, FL home. He and my aunt were ca 70 y.o. at the time. He said that keeping it clean, chemically balanced and the right temperature was a nightmare hassle. Eventually he had walls and a roof constructed around it, effectively making it an indoor pool and an addition his home. (Complete with a hot-tub and shower too.) After that he called it "the best toy he every had". They both loved it and used it extensively. I have no idea how much it cost. Money was not a significant concern of his if you get my drift... but it's pretty clear to me that there are massive advantages of an indoor pool.