Marathon Swimmers Federation

Yay for me! My name is finally among the annals of the MSF. longswims.com/.../ Dan
  • Congrats, Dan! How long have you been working on getting on the list?
  • Most things Phil White related are interesting!!
  • Congrats, Dan! How long have you been working on getting on the list? Thanks. Well, I did this swim last year, and that iteration of it was also recognized by the MSF. However, unwittingly, I wore a neoprene lava suit so I wasn't included. Neoprene of any kind (suit, cap, etc.) is strictly prohibited by the MSF for recognized marathon swims. Last year there were nine swimmers. Besides me, another swimmer wore a full-body wetsuit. At the time, I seriously thougth only full-body wetsuits were prohibited and that the lava suit would be OK. I was a little stunned at the end when the organizer told me I couldn't be included. I was so mad AT MYSELF for wearing that lava suit...I don't know why I did. So it was then that I decided I'd do it again in 2020 WITHOUT the neoprene. Dan
  • Congratulations! I remember how great I felt after my first 10K. Hopefully, we'll be able to have swims again next year. What's on your bucket list?
  • Congratulations! I remember how great I felt after my first 10K. Hopefully, we'll be able to have swims again next year. What's on your bucket list? Hmm. Well I haven't really thought much about a bucket list for swims. I've always been an open water swimmer...but for shorter distances. In the past few years, hip replacement...and now looking at knee replacement probably by the end of the year...have resulted in an abrupt end to running...my first activity. So, at 59 years old I'm sorta new to marathon swimming (although Diana Nyad has proved age doesn't matter). I'd like to be able to say I've completed "a swim" of ten miles, or more. And I think I probably could in favorable (i.e. calm) conditions. The swim mentioned in my OP was tough to say the least. The middle three miles saw swells of 6-8 feet, and heavy chop. Last year...in much better conditions...this swim took me just 3½ hours. This year it was 5½. Conditions added at least an hour to everyone. Several were forced to abandon. So to answer your question...I guess I don't know, yet. But...one that won't make me feel like I just went 15 rounds with Mohammad Ali when I step out of the water. Dan
  • If you're looking for a beautiful 10 mile swim, Kingdom Swim in Vermont is delightful. There are several distances, from 1 to 15 miles. It was my first 10 miler and I did it for my 65th birthday. Here's a link that includes several other options for Vermont summer swims: http://kingdomgames.co if you're interested. Kingdom Week is highly recommended as well. 8 pristine VT lakes in 9 days. Heaven. Lyn
  • Thanks, Lyn. Those weekly Clubhouse swims look interesting too. Dan
  • Just did my first 10K on Sunday. Would have been the Bridges to Bluffs in Knoxville, but it was cancelled due to COVID. The local group still did it, just unofficially. Actually did very well in my first big swim. Swam GREAT first 5.5 miles, but then the leg cramps hit me, really hard, and I flailed the last 1000M or so. Extrapolating my earlier times (which isn't fair, the river is wider there, and there was current in the narrow parts - but not THAT much!) would have had me finish 4 minutes earlier. But still a very solid swim. Have thoroughly enjoyed doing the open water stuff this year, which I did not expect!
  • Wahoo Dan!! Thatâ€Tms a great feat! 10 miles... get your name in for Swim the Suck. It feels more like 8 miles with the current, but itâ€Tms still challenging
  • I thought it took 4 swims of 10k or longer to get listed in the database. Have they changed the rules? Or was this your 4th swim?